Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 10-20-2011, 02:00 PM
Adan Galvan
Contributing Editor
Default Pics Leak of Nokia 800

http://pocketnow.com/windows-phone/...rst-press-shots

Nokia World is right around the corner, but already some great looking pictures of the upcoming Nokia 800 have leaked to the internet. While there are no surprises, what we have is a good looking phone in three different colors (black, pink, and blue).  The pics also reveal a slightly different font, Nokia Music, and Nokia Navigation apps.  Although the phone looks great, many nay-sayers are already pointing out the differences in hardware between this and the recently announced Samsung Galaxy Nexus.  Fortunately for us, we wil know all the details by next week and can determine for ourselves exactly what those differences are (and whether or not they will matter in the end).  Nokia World here we come!

Old 10-23-2011, 01:13 PM
Deslock
Thinker

Beat you http://forums.thoughtsmedia.com/754523-post10.html

It's noteworthy that this appears to be at least a similar shell to the Nokia N9. Some N9 specs:

- 4.76 ounces
- Approximately the same footprint as iPhone4
- TI's OMAP 3630 SoC (single-core 1GHz Cortex A8 CPU with a PowerVR SGX530 GPU)
- 1GB of RAM
- 12.1 mm thick at middle (but tapered so it feels thinner)
- 854x480 AMOLED (is WP still limited to 800x480?)
- 16GB or 64GB flash
- F2.2 Carl Zeiss dual LED flash
- MeeGo

I'll probably get flamed for posting this at a Microsoft enthusiast site (well, maybe not since there aren't many active users left to flame me), but I can't help but think that Nokia has made a questionable choice by not sticking with MeeGo. It's a really slick platform (very smooth, multitasking, copy/paste, webkit browser, etc) and had Nokia decided to push it, it had the potential to do well.

But then Nokia wouldn't have a sugar-daddy partner like Microsoft. Since Elop pulled the rug out well before the N9 was released, there's no point to buying it now. I'm not at all surprised to see that the 800 is almost identical.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:22 PM
liljohn
Pupil

Am I the only one or does this phone remind others of an IPOD Nano Gen 2 that has grown up?

Old 10-25-2011, 06:40 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Why does every pic (mockup) I see of this thing have the status bar visible? The thing at the top that provides useful info like signal strength, battery status. Normally on a WP, everything but the time disappears after a few seconds, so 99% of the time the phone doesn't look like that. Why doe that bother me? Because I wish it did. I see no reason to hide that stuff. It's not like it uses the room for something else. OK, it doesnt need to be there in apps, but on the Start screen? Come on, what would it hurt to let us see the status(es) all the time.

And yea, I see the nanoish features.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:42 PM
Deslock
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn View Post
Am I the only one or does this phone remind others of an IPOD Nano Gen 2 that has grown up?
I noticed that too... from another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deslock View Post
the upcoming N800 has the potential to do well with its clean iPod nano-esque design (though it's not very ergonomic... I sure wouldn't buy it)