Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home News

Old 09-13-2011, 05:48 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Windows 8: This is the Future of Windows

<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.winrumors.com/windows-8-really-does-change-everything-its-mind-blowing/' target='_blank'>http://www.winrumors.com/windows-8-...s-mind-blowing/</a><br /><br /></div><p><em>"Microsoft is welcoming around 5,000 developers to its BUILD conference today to unveil the most significant change in the PC space since Windows 95. "It's a launch," explains Windows chief Steven Sinofsky. "It's a launch of an opportunity for developers. That's a lot, it's a big deal to do today and tomorrow," he says during an opening address to media and analysts in Anaheim California. You sense the sense of excitement in the room and the realisation that Windows 8 is a really big deal for Microsoft, a deal that cannot go wrong."</em></p><p><object width="600" height="360" data="http://www.youtube.com/v/mkTxICo2sf4&amp;ap=&fmt=18" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"><param name="src" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mkTxICo2sf4&amp;ap=&fmt=18" /></object></p><p>It's taken years, but Microsoft has finally delivered a truly workable touch-based interface. Check out the video above; the performance is stunning. Everything is smooth and impressively fluid. Yes, this is a developer's build so it's not finished, but seeing performance like this early on is a great indicator of what's to come. Windows 8 is also significantly lighter on resources than Windows 7; <a href="http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/13/windows-8-can-run-on-an-atom-cpu-1gb-of-ram/" target="_blank">Engadget's post says</a> that Windows 7 SP1 required 404 MB of RAM and had 32 processes running. Compare that to Windows 8 using only 281 MB of RAM and having 28 processes - that's big, big improvement.</p><p>Are you excited? I'm excited! More coverage here on <a href="http://www.businessinsider.com/hands-on-with-the-windows-8-slate-its-fantastic-2011-9" target="_blank">Business Insider</a> and <a href="http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/13/windows-8-for-tablets-hands-on-preview/" target="_blank">Engadget</a>.</p>

Old 09-13-2011, 11:44 PM
Lee Yuan Sheng
Contributing Editor

It's nice, but what happens when you go to a legacy app? You know, the real reason for running Windows. :P

Old 09-14-2011, 02:17 AM
Macguy59
Mystic

I like the looks of it but keep it mind the demo is running on a Core i5 so I'm skeptical of how it will do on the ARM type of processors necessary for tablets

Old 09-14-2011, 01:07 PM
cweeks
Pupil

This is *exactly* what I've been waiting for! I've said for the last year that if MS can create a true tablet version of Windows that runs true Windows applications, that they would have a real iPad killer. Depends on marketing, operation speed, design, and weight, but this looks like a winner.

I predict that, if it's good on all fronts mentioned above, that it will have major control of the market within 3 years.

I'm not holding my breath, though. MS has a habit of destroying good ideas with bad marketing... or no marketing at all.

Time will tell...

Old 09-14-2011, 10:14 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Yuan Sheng View Post
It's nice, but what happens when you go to a legacy app? You know, the real reason for running Windows. :P
You run it the way it was intended, with a keyboard and mouse. I'm not going to do word processing on an on-screen keyboard. I'm not going to do Visio drawings with my fingers. There are things appropriate to portable touch screen, and things appropriate for 'workstations'. If the hardware can be one and the same, great.

I have Win7 touch screens, from 20+" to 9", an iPad and an Iconia Tab (well, that's my wife's). I can do all the things comparably on the Win 7 that is typical on the other tablets, media, browsing, e-mail reading, light response, games. Things that take more defined interaction, creating a presentation, writing a paper, that sort of thing, really cry out for a keyboard, at least, on all the platforms. Note that keyboards are in no short supply for Android and iPad.

Thing is, 100% of the apps are touch friendly on the iPad/Android, where that percentage is pretty low on the Windows machines. That's an app issue, not a platform issue. ISVs could easily make touch friendly Windows apps. They would have to ensure that they worked with keyboard and mouse as well, since touch capable windows machines aren't ubiquitous. That's the kicker I think. For the other devices a developer can assume a user might have a keyboard (maybe a mouse/touch pad) for windows he can assume the user might have a touch screen.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:33 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
There's a lot of confusion around this issue - some people seem to think that the Metro interface *is* Windows 8 and the legacy desktop is an emulated environment or something. That just can't be right. Windows 8 is still Windows; the Metro interface is just a really good overlay.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:41 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macguy59 View Post
I like the looks of it but keep it mind the demo is running on a Core i5 so I'm skeptical of how it will do on the ARM type of processors necessary for tablets
Agreed. Microsoft had better have some TIGHT code on the ARM version, because even with a quad-core 1.5 Ghz ARM CPU, you won't get the same performance as an x86 CPU (let alone GPU). Another concern I have is the footprint of Windows 8; OEMs are going to want to make 16 GB tablets. Windows 8 can't take up 12 GB of storage + breathing room. Windows 8 needs to slim way down...

Old 09-15-2011, 02:09 AM
Lee Yuan Sheng
Contributing Editor

The whole point of having Windows is to run legacy programs. Take that away and there's no real advantage to running it.

It's a bit like Windows Mobile on the HTC HD2. Damn great Sense overlay, but you don't want to run any other programs on it after that.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:49 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
The whole point of having Windows is to run legacy programs. Take that away and there's no real advantage to running it.
Really? What are you going to run instead, Linux?

Old 09-15-2011, 09:15 AM
Lee Yuan Sheng
Contributing Editor

On tablets? iOS or Android. So yes, Linux. :P