Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 09-12-2011, 09:30 PM
Brad Wasson
Contributing Editor
Default Windows Phone 7: Making Solid Progress

http://pocketnow.com/windows-phone/...ne-7-is-winning

"Market share numbers are important, but so is momentum. Momentum is the feeling of forward-progress; it's what creates excitement, draws anticipation, and makes people become true fanatics towards a given product. Momentum is the critical "X factor" that any new product needs to succeed. Windows Phone 7 has this momentum."

If you read smartphone-focused sites like pocketnow.com, you will probably be familiar with the name Brandon Miniman. As Editor-in-Chief he has a wealth of experience in the industry and I find his commentary interesting. His recent editorial on the state of Windows Phone 7 suggests that Microsoft is well on-track for success in this highly competitive marketplace. He analyses four aspects of the product's play in the market: the overall product experience, support from OEMs, competitive positioning, and Microsoft's financial wherewithal. I agree, for the most part, with his analysis. I think the new WP7 offerings from HTC (the Titan and Radar), for example, will help interest consumers in switching to the platform. Hit the Read link to read his editorial, then drop back here and let us know your thoughts on Microsoft's potential future success.

Last edited by Brad Wasson; 09-12-2011 at 11:03 PM..

Old 09-27-2011, 04:00 AM
cbf
Pupil

The Windows Phone 7 fans (and I count myself among them) can delude themselves into thinking that the 1% market share is suddenly going to turn around. I don't think it will.

In the US, only AT&T is carrying, or has announced, more than a single Win Phone 7 model. I need to upgrade the whole family (on Sprint) *now* (not 2Q2012) and there is really no viable Win Phone 7 to choose from -- not even a rumor of anything coming -- ever. On the other hand, there's a new Android phone every week. Android phones with better specs than any Win Phone 7 due to come out this year shipped months ago. What makes anyone think that Microsoft can come nearly three years late to the party, and bring less (hardware), and make an impact? (Note no dual core Win Phone 7s at all -- I assume the kernel support isn't there, even in Mango.) From my point of view as a consumer, the Win Phone 7 platform seems to fall six days further behind Android and iPhone every week.

Finally, most people I talk to about a "Windows" Phone gives me a sneer and look like "Why would I want some Microsoft piece of crap with a terrible UI that crashes all the time". Face it -- the "Windows" and Microsoft brands have negative value. For teens and college students it would be like buying their granddad's broken down car.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:38 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbf View Post
The Windows Phone 7 fans (and I count myself among them)
Wow, you're a fan? I'd hate to see your thoughts if you weren't.