Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 09-02-2011, 12:30 PM
Brad Wasson
Contributing Editor
Default Whoa! HTC Releases Titan Of A Phone

http://www.mobileburn.com/gallery.jsp?Id=16460

"The HTC Titan is one of the new Windows Phone 7.5 smartphones to be announced today. It features a massive, 4.7-inch display and a 1.5GHz processor. We were live at HTC's launch event in London and were able to get some quick hands-on time with the new phone."

If you are into big screen smartphones, like I am, you'll want to take note of this behemoth. HTC's new Titan, running Windows Phone 7.5 has been announced. Besides it's beautiful screen, it has some interesting features, including a wide-angle camera lens. Put your browser in full-screen mode and hit the Read link for some more pictures.

Old 09-03-2011, 04:51 PM
whydidnt
Pontificator

Well, I think 4.5" at that resolution would have made more sense. Also curious about the amount storage. I think we are still waiting for an official 32GB WP, aren't we? It's good to see at least 1 OEM attempting to hit the high end of the market though. I was very disappointed in the latest rumors of the first Nokia phone being low end - that will not get MS the market momentum they want. Not sure going overboard to 4.7" will though either.

Old 09-03-2011, 05:00 PM
Fritzly
Sage

I do not know if 4.7" is too big; I would have to have a device in my hand to make the call. I have a HD2 and a HD7 and they are big, I really like them but, again, they are big already.

The rest of the specs are not impressive to be honest: a dual-core processor even if MS OS does not support them yet would have been better; either when you pay $600/700 for a device or you get locked in a two years contract getting a piece of hardware that will last for at least two years is the wise way to go.

As other has already said Windows smartphones are limited by that stupid decision made by MS to lock the storage and all these new devices coming with at most 16Gb of storage do not convince e much.

Bottom line it seems an OK device but not something able to make me sell my HD7 and buy it.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:30 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzly View Post
I do not know if 4.7" is too big; I would have to have a device in my hand to make the call.
It feels quite good in the hand - the screen size doesn't make it feel too big, which surprised me a little.

Quote:
The rest of the specs are not impressive to be honest: a dual-core processor even if MS OS does not support them yet would have been better
What would the point of HTC putting in a dual-core CPU if the OS doesn't support it? It would just sit there doing nothing.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:41 AM
Fritzly
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
I

What would the point of HTC putting in a dual-core CPU if the OS doesn't support it? It would just sit there doing nothing.
Well, if someone buy a phone and is locked in a two years cycle to replace it it makes sense.....

Old 09-06-2011, 02:29 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Well, if someone buy a phone and is locked in a two years cycle to replace it it makes sense.....
Maybe, but that drives up the cost of the phone with hardware that may or may not become useful. Honestly though, Windows Phone 7 is so finely tuned for a 1 ghz CPU it screams on a 1.5 ghz CPU. I'm just thrilled to see one OEM exceed the minimum specs for once...

Old 09-06-2011, 07:06 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Quote:
I'm just thrilled to see one OEM exceed the minimum specs for once...
Would have been nice if they over-achieved in the memory as well as the CPU speed.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:29 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven Johannsen View Post
Would have been nice if they over-achieved in the memory as well as the CPU speed.
Agreed. What I wouldn't give for a 64 GB Windows Phone 7 device...

Old 09-07-2011, 06:24 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Quote:
Agreed. What I wouldn't give for a 64 GB Windows Phone 7 device...
Money possibly? Apple thinks going from 16 to 64G is worth $200 on an iPad Wonder what HTC would thinks it's worth?

Old 09-07-2011, 06:27 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven Johannsen View Post
Money possibly? Apple thinks going from 16 to 64G is worth $200 on an iPad Wonder what HTC would thinks it's worth?
For sure - the BOM (bill of materials) cost plays a big factor in the final selling price of the device. Also, since Windows Phone 7 devices use embedded microSD cards, we're talking about a potentially hefty price tag - 64 GB microSD cards aren't very common yet, or cheap...