Apple Thoughts

Apple Thoughts - News & Reviews on all things Apple

Be sure to register in our forums and post your comments - we want to hear from you!

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > APPLE THOUGHTS > Apple Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-17-2011, 04:30 PM
Michael Knutson
Contributing Editor
Send a message via AIM to Michael Knutson Send a message via MSN to Michael Knutson Send a message via Yahoo to Michael Knutson Send a message via Skype™ to Michael Knutson
Default Apple's OS X Lion Now Available for $69 on USB Drive

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/tec...b-drive-69.html

"Apple released OS X Lion on a USB thumb drive on Tuesday, selling for $69, just under a month after the new Mac operating system debuted as a $29.99 download."

Interesting that Apple has finally accepted the fact the there is simply not enough high speed internet access in this country to do away with physical media entirely. For $69, you get a full copy of Lion, rather expensive when compared to the download price, but vital for users with maybe not the fastest access. After upgrading two systems to Lion, I found that the download speed is okay with my connection, but that I needed to upgrade each machine separately from the Apps Store, meaning two downloads of almost 4GB each. A bit annoying. On a "capped" cable modem connection, there goes 8GB of my monthly total. Later I used Apple's Recovery Disk Assistant with a spare flash drive, but it would've been nice to have the USB drive from day one - but $69 rather than $30? Ouch.