Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware > HTC Windows Phones

Old 07-04-2011, 03:00 AM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor
Default HTC Eternity: One For The Ages

http://www.htcinside.de/das-htc-ete...her-ausstattung

HTC has always had a reputation for pushing the size envelope, and the Eternity is no exception. Slated for this autumn to coincide with the release of WP7.5 Mango, the Eternity will sport a massive 4.7" screen, a 1.5GHz Qualcomm processor, and HDMI output. I remember my old HTC Advantage with mixed feelings, but one thing that's never bothered me about it was its size, so the Eternity's won't bother me much either. This isn't for everyone though. You can get more details through HTCInside (Google translation here).

Old 07-04-2011, 06:06 PM
Don Tolson
Thoughts Media Review Team

The translation link didn't work for me on IE9 -- just got a bunch of translation windows opening up.

In any case, 4.7 in seems a little large for a typical pocket and I'd be worried about the weight of this unit. To me, this almost seems like a small tablet, rather than a portable phone.

I wonder if we aren't getting into a 'bigger means better' thing with screens, similar to the idiocy we saw with camera imaging (more pixels means I get better shots!) when most people don't even NEED that amount of detail.

My latest experience with a 4.1 in screen (Dell Venue Pro) left me a bit jaded I guess -- since it looks like they simply expanded the original image to fill the available space without adding any more detail -- essentially expanding the pixels.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:47 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Tolson View Post
My latest experience with a 4.1 in screen (Dell Venue Pro) left me a bit jaded I guess -- since it looks like they simply expanded the original image to fill the available space without adding any more detail -- essentially expanding the pixels.
Yes, that's exactly how it works. All Windows Phone 7 devices on the market today are 800 x 480 resolution, regardless of screen size. The smaller the screen, the more densely packed the pixels are, which means sharper/crisper text, images, UI elements, etc. Collectively this is usually referred to as PPI (pixels per inch). The bigger the screen, the more spread out those pixels become, which lowers the PPI.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:01 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Personally, I'm excited to see HTC pushing the envelope with the size of this phone - I'd have to check it out in person and see how it feels in the hand, etc. before making a judgement about size.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:23 AM
Fritzly
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
Personally, I'm excited to see HTC pushing the envelope with the size of this phone - I'd have to check it out in person and see how it feels in the hand, etc. before making a judgement about size.
I have HD2 and a HD7 and they are big, no questions about it. Said that I like the format more than the one of the iPhone but, as usual with these kind of questions, personal needs and priorities differ a lot.

While I am open and I will surely take a look at the device I suspect that 4.7 would be too much for a smartphone; it would be a perfect size though for a "Courier" kind of device.