Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 07-01-2011, 12:14 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Microsoft to Windows Phone MVPs: "You're Fired"

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft...vp-program/9897

"Microsoft is making some big changes to one of its Windows Phone programs that is resulting in some unhappy former advocates. A number of Windows Phone Most Valuable Professionals (MVPs) - the volunteer army that has helped Microsoft with its mobile phone charge - are being notified this week that Microsoft is dropping them from its program."

At some point in the future I'll have something eloquent to say about this news, but for now I can only shake my head in dismay. This is simply not the right way to treat people who have volunteered their time to help your customers.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:53 AM
Fritzly
Sage

History repeats itself........ and MS keeps repeating its previous mistakes.........

I am sure some people know what I am referring to...........

Old 07-01-2011, 10:10 AM
benjimen
Intellectual

Windows Phone just is grabbing market share, it shouldn't be long for other various aspects of it begin closing up shop

Old 07-01-2011, 12:51 PM
landslide
Pupil

Absolutely shocking...

Old 07-01-2011, 03:05 PM
van_mierlo
Ponderer

Like I said, so sad.....but more so confused what the strategy behind it is.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:27 PM
Richard76
Intellectual

Somebody please, take the gun away from Microsoft (or at least help them point the barrel at 90 degrees)!

Old 07-01-2011, 03:46 PM
The Yaz
Thinker

This makes perfect sense for MS. Let's follow the successful model of our new partner Nokia! We'll save money that would've been wasted on a test phone loan program, the communications group that kept in touch with the MVP's and cost of the awards announcements.

Our OS is so good now we don't need to talk it up...

Android and IOS fear us, and our drive to the top is a formality. The forcasters said so and they are always right!

First we lost PocketPC Thoughts, and I'm starting to think Jason will be shutting Down WindowsPhone Thoughts in the near future...

Steve

Old 07-01-2011, 04:53 PM
3DPiper
Neophyte

This doesn't surprise me..

I recently animated a new WP7 phone for a regional cellular provider (in addition to blackberrys and android phones).. As a WP user myself, I really wanted it to look good.. The cellular company has about a million customers, so I knew my animation may directly influence their buying decision..

I asked if I could get a video screen capture of the UI in action.. I was told: this isn't possible. I said, how do they do it for the big conferences where the screen is seen live via USB? I was told: that is a special version of the OS, and I can't have access to it..

I said, OK, can I send you the voice over and script and you capture the screen for me? it would take 2 minutes to do.. very easy.. I was told: No.

So I said, can I at least get some screen grabs and I will animate the elements myself? I was told: No.

I have been a very dedicated WP activist, and this was a great way to really show off the phone to potiential customers.. Luckily I found a local developer who got me some screen grabs..

It has really left a sour taste in my mouth for the official WP team..

Old 07-01-2011, 10:00 PM
Nelson Ocampo
Ponderer

This wasn't handled very well.

The problem with companies as large as Microsoft is that one hand often doesn't understand what the other hand is doing. Or maybe, one hand doesn't care so much about the other hand.

To me it sounds like whoever was in charge of handling this is probably from a part of the company where they really don't care about how the PR for it will look like.

Old 07-03-2011, 02:31 AM
karen
Thinker

I thought of you, Jason, when I read about the whole closing of the MVP Program for WP. Then I saw Mike's tweet about it featured in Mary Jo's blog.

I was shocked, too. All I could think of what that the whole product line must be closing down. I'm not sure I'll ever understand it.