Laptop Thoughts - News & Reviews on Laptops, Netbooks, Slates, and More

Be sure to register in our forums! Share your opinions, help others, and enter our contests.

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > LAPTOP THOUGHTS > Laptop Thoughts News

Old 06-25-2011, 05:00 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Nanosys Screen Technology: A Quantum Leap Forward in Colour Accuracy?

http://scobleizer.com/2011/06/23/is...-i-hope-so-wow/

"When Nanosys CEO Jason Hartlove pulled two iPads out of his bag and turned them on one looked like when I first saw my first Kodachrome slide while the other looked muddy and crappy in comparison (I pulled out my own iPad and saw my screen looked muddy and crappy in comparison too). The new one was clear, beautiful, stunning, with richer colors than I had ever seen on a screen before."

I highly value great display technology and based on what I'm reading about Nanosys, this could be a major leap forward. The challenge here is that since none of us are going to watch this video on a Nanosys display, we can't actually tell how much better it is. While I don't think "our lives will change forever" as the hyperbolic Robert Scoble puts it, it looks like Nanosys is positioned to make a big splash in the display industry. The Nanosys system allows for just over 60% of the colour gamut that the human eye can see. In comparison, a typical tablet is 20%, a typical HDTV is about 35%, and the NTSC broadcast standard is about 50%.

A lot of technology like this goes nowhere, but the Nanosys CEO says their technology will be in a tablet by the end of the year, and in TVs in 2012. Since this is a film, it should technically work in essentially anything with an LCD screen: phones, tablets, laptops, TVs, etc. I'm looking forward to this, especially since the CEO says their product is essentially cost-neutral so industry pick-up should be swift.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:22 PM
ptyork
Sage

This is very exciting to me, as well. I'm a bit of a display-nazi myself, especially in terms of (real) contrast. I have a feeling that this is going to be one of those things that just "happens" to displays without too much grandeur. Perhaps Apple or some other manufacturer will purchase it outright if it proves to offer a competitive advantage, but hopefully it'll just start replacing the filter layers in most displays and everyone will benefit.

My question, though, is how monitors today can claim 100% (or more) color gamut reproduction? Do they use a different form of backlighting? Are certainly types of fluorescent panels closer to the full "daylight" spectrum than are LED's?

Old 06-27-2011, 04:47 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptyork View Post
My question, though, is how monitors today can claim 100% (or more) color gamut reproduction? Do they use a different form of backlighting? Are certainly types of fluorescent panels closer to the full "daylight" spectrum than are LED's?
I find that a bit confusing as well - but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a bit of marketing fluff on both sides...the real proof will be in the results. I'm looking forward to seeing this in action!