Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-24-2011, 11:24 PM
Richard76
Intellectual
Default Bad Mango...I think I need a hosted exchange account?

I have really been trying hard to like WP7, I really have. So much so that while I have been waiting for it to evolve to include the services I need, I even bought one for my son. At least that way I have got to play around with it a bit.

What are the services I need? I am a die-hard Windows Mobile business user dating all the way back to Win CE and monochrome devices, syncing Outlook and using all generations of MS Office for my business needs. What I don't have is an employer that has MS Exchange Server. I am a satellite office and have always been left up to my own devices to manage my IT needs.

Until the decline of Windows Mobile 6.5, I have always accomplished this by using Outlook to manage my company email account (POP3) and sync that via USB to any mobile phone/device I may be using at the time. Obviously, this is no longer possible with WP7 and I was so hoping that Mango would bring this functionality (or something similar) to the party. However, apparently this is not to be. And it's a shame too. The fact that both "fruit companies" can handle this seamlessly but MS cannot. Heck, even the "robot" does a better job of this.

So, being unfamiliar with Exchange, I am seeking some advice on moving into the future.

First, can I get a hosted Exchange account that will use my existing company email account (not a new or different email address when I send/receive). Will POP work ok or do I need to see if our current email service provider can provide me with an IMAP option. I don't really think I need anything in the way of "collaboration" tools or additional software (like SharePoint). I am currently running MS Office 2010 with Outlook 2010 on a Windows 7 32bit machine and just need the ability to send and accept meeting requests. And of course, I want the ability to automatically sync any changes to contacts, calendar, tasks and notes with my laptop(s) and any device I may be using (phones/tablets etc.).

Any advice would be much appreciated as well as anything I may not have mentioned or thought of. Also, any experience (good or bad) with a particular service and/or recommendations would be very helpful. Thanks for reading.