Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 06-23-2011, 11:30 PM
Nelson Ocampo
Ponderer
Default Be a Tattle Tale!

http://wptattletale.com/

"Microsoft has gone out of its way to build an awesome experience for the phone with Windows Phone 7. But the one experience they can't control is what happens when you walk into a retail store to buy one. And it's too bad, because the retail experience, as handle by carriers and their affiliates, is an abomination. It's pretty hard to try out a new device experience when the device is either broken, dead, or a plastic shell with a sticker for a home screen. Or when the response to 'Can I see a Windows Phone?' is met with 'Have you seen the AMOLED screen on the Samsung Charge?'"

WPTattletale.com is a site where you could post your experiences when trying to purchase, or learn more about, Windows Phone 7.  Many of use have heard stories, or have had personal experiences where you feel that retailers are not treating Windows Phone fairly.  Perhaps they push a different product when you specifically ask about Windows Phone.  Perhaps they just make the experience of trying to learn more about it tedious with non-working display models or some other inconvenience.  Feel free to share your experiences and name the stores and salespeople that are the offenders.

Be a tattle tale!

Old 06-27-2011, 10:58 AM
after_forever
Pupil
Default Blame Game

Don't start blaming the retailers for Microsoft's misfortunes. Microsoft only has itself to blame for lackluster sales and only a 2% share in the mobile phone business.
I was a huge MS supporter for many years until they came out with windows 7. When MS announced Windows 7 I was excited to get my hands on the new OS. Then I learned half of the features I used most were not supported. MS focused their new OS on the cloud and raped XBOX into the mix. Then to top all that, the hardware on the new phone were two year old technology, and I couldn't exchange different memory cards in the phone without resetting up the phone. I since then purchased an Android phone and so far have no regrets. Compairing an windows phone to a MS phone is night and day difference.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:10 PM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Brad Adrian Send a message via MSN to Brad Adrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by after_forever View Post
Don't start blaming the retailers for Microsoft's misfortunes.
You're talking about something entirely different than what Nelson is writing about, and I agree with Nelson. It doesn't matter whether Microsoft has a 2% share or 20% share; the people working at these stores should know about the products they're selling.

I've worked at an electronics store before, and we always had about 15 laptops and more than 50 printers on the shelf at any given time. It was my responsibility to know as much about each and every one of those products as possible so that I could give as much useful advice as possible.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:29 PM
griph
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to griph

Perhaps if Microsoft took a leaf out of Apple's business approach for their IOS devices we wouldn't be discussing this at all!

Apple store for a start! And when iPhone and iPad were launched (initially with O2) and subsequently with the rest, the resellers always had a number of working models on show for users to fiddle with.

Its up to MS to make sure their resellers are on the ball, and are provided with a generous portion of working demo models, particularly when MS are trying to re-enter the market very much the underdog!

Dont blame the reseller's - they are not going to break out demo models at their cost on what has become an unwanted device! Marketing is the BIG thing - something that Apple have consistently shown that they know how to do. MS have a lot of catching up to do if they are going to avoid co0ntinuing to be the white elephant in the handheld device market.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:48 PM
stlbud
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by griph View Post
Dont blame the reseller's - they are not going to break out demo models at their cost on what has become an unwanted device! Marketing is the BIG thing - something that Apple have consistently shown that they know how to do. MS have a lot of catching up to do if they are going to avoid co0ntinuing to be the white elephant in the handheld device market.
Agreed. Microsoft is their own worst enemy when it comes to marketing. They seem to think they can just throw stuff against the wall to see if it will stick. There is a lot of stuff on that wall and it takes a lot more work just to get someone to notice. Apple got where they are by bringing their peculiar message to the public with striking and repeated advertising during prime time. I've yet to see a Windows Phone 7 ad on TV or any where else for that matter.

Zune Tag - therealstlbud