Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 06-22-2011, 06:00 AM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor
Default Previewing Mango

http://www.wpcentral.com/mojo?utm_s...rts+(wpcentral)

"To say "Mango" for Windows Phone 7 is a large update is a bit of an understatement. It's massive. Although we have had two updates to our fledgling OS, both have been relatively minor. "Mango", however, is Microsoft's attempt to fill in all the gaps left from the v1.0 release last fall. Can it succeed?"

WPCentral has been playing with a preview version of Mango, and really like what they see. The scale of the improvements justifies Microsoft's labeling of Mango as WP7.5, and you'll see why after reading through the article.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:54 PM
virain
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to virain

Still, no video chat. Ah?

Old 06-22-2011, 08:04 PM
Don Tolson
Thoughts Media Review Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by virain View Post
I think the main hold back for that is the non-desire by the cell providers (at least here in NA) to support video-chatting.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:07 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Without a front-facing camera being part of the minimum hardware spec, why would Microsoft build that into software?

Old 06-23-2011, 06:48 AM
Fritzly
Sage

It seems there are no improvements for the "Calendar" and "Categories".
Does anybody knows if they fixed the issue, a big one IMO, of the numbers that get highlighted when you enter the password to unlock the phone?

The first release of the XP Tablet OS had the same problem but they fixed very quickly.

Last edited by Fritzly; 06-23-2011 at 07:28 AM..

Old 06-23-2011, 08:04 AM
virain
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
Without a front-facing camera being part of the minimum hardware spec, why would Microsoft build that into software?
And as Microsoft pretty much dictates What hardware should be to OEMs, I doubt that FFC was just forgotten to mention. And what about Skype purchase?

Old 06-23-2011, 08:09 AM
virain
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Tolson View Post
I think the main hold back for that is the non-desire by the cell providers (at least here in NA) to support video-chatting.
It seems AT&Ts and Verizons of the world don't mind video chat on iPhone, even Google Talk with video chat on Android devices, why would they resist one on Windows Phone device? And if they do, would it be classified as unfair business practice and discrimination against particular product maker? Good basis for legal actions. So, if MS needs a lawyer, I know one

Last edited by virain; 06-23-2011 at 08:12 AM..

Old 06-23-2011, 08:10 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
And as Microsoft pretty much dictates What hardware should be to OEMs, I doubt that FFC was just forgotten to mention. And what about Skype purchase?
I think in the Windows Phone 8 timeframe we will see front facing cameras and deep Skype integration. One needs the other...

Old 06-23-2011, 01:22 PM
Lee Yuan Sheng
Contributing Editor

Does anyone actually use video calling on a phone? I've had 3 phones with front-facing cameras and have not used the feature a single time. I also don't know a single friend or acquaintance who has used it with any regularity.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:21 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Yuan Sheng View Post
Does anyone actually use video calling on a phone? I've had 3 phones with front-facing cameras and have not used the feature a single time. I also don't know a single friend or acquaintance who has used it with any regularity.
The only time I'd want to use it would be if I'm travelling and I want to do a video call with my wife and son...but I'd probably prefer to do it on my tablet or laptop. But I think it's becoming a table-stakes feature regardless of how much it's really used...it's fair to wonder though how much of a driver it is for sales. I wonder how many people go into a store looking for a new phone and have video calling at the top of their list?