Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 06-16-2011, 07:03 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Official Evernote Client for Windows Phone 7 Released

http://blog.evernote.com/2011/06/16...hone-7-is-here/

"Evernote for Windows Phone 7 lets you save and find your ideas and memories any time, anywhere. As you would expect, it seamlessly syncs with every other version of Evernote you use, but there's so much more. In fact, this is the most feature-rich debut we've ever had. Not only is it packed with capabilities, but it's also beautiful-taking advantage of the innovative Windows Phone 7 Metro interface and its Pivot panels. And, as always, Evernote for Windows Phone 7 is free and available now from the App Hub."

Much love Evernote dev team, much love. I've been using Evernote at an ever-increasing pace over the past six months (after barely using at all for the first year), and the missing piece has been being able to use it on my Windows Phone. No more! Well, soon enough - I just checked and it's not available for me in Marketplace yet, but it should be soon. The Evernote team has created an app that utilizes unique assets to Windows Phone, such as the deep Bing integration. Premium subscribers will get to store their notes offline - that's a must-have feature for me - so I'll definitely be renewing my Evernote Premium subscription when it comes up next month. This is a big deal for the platform - Evernote is one of those services that, if there's no official app for it, some people simply won't consider that platform a viable option.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:54 AM
humayunl
Intellectual

I am a heavy OneNote user and rely on mobiles notes a lot.

A note taking application (preferably with the ability to sync in the cloud) is a must have for me as well. This was one of the pain points for me when i switched to android because back on WM6.5 I was using OneNote mobile and syncing (wired) with my desktop.

I tried EverNote on android but for some reason found it to be not as simple as I wanted my notes app to be (just taking scrap notes and syncing). I know it has many more features but I found it overall too complex for my needs - which were simple (no voice, no pictures, just simple text notes). As a result, on android I was using (and am still using) AKNotepad syncing with catch.com in the cloud). Its painfully simple but sufficient for me. The only downside was using OneNote on the PC and Catch.com on the web for the device. There is no way (that i know of) that i can sync skydrive Onenote notes to android.

Couldn't stay away from WM7 for too long so I bought a focus yesterday (a beautiful phone by the way). Though I hate not having native tasks on it, the ability to go back to OneNote is great.

My question to you Jason (or anyone else using notes on the phone) is, what makes you prefer using EverNote over OneNote, a native and reasonably decent app built into the WP7 OS? Are there other features of EverNote that you don't find in OneNote?

I'm asking this question in an effort to learn other features or ways of organizing my digital life with notes. Maybe I'll learn something and find a reason to use a notes app in a more productive way.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:59 AM
Lee Yuan Sheng
Contributing Editor

Apps don't really matter as much as your own internal workflow. I personally use a slighty different version of David Allen's GTD system with Springpad and Dropbox. This is really a case of whatever works best for you.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:13 PM
pocketpcadmirer
Sage

I still prefer using Onenote as it is so seamlessly integrated into the phone.

Plus, it is free!

Old 06-17-2011, 07:40 PM
neo158
Pupil

Would be a nice app, if it worked. All I get is a blank white screen after logging in on my HD7.

I'm not alone either, others have the same issue as shown by the review on the marketplace.

Old 06-18-2011, 05:33 PM
buzzard
Theorist

I have been using OneNote and have added Evernote to my WP7. The search part of Evernote on my phone is fantastic and works as well as the desktop version. (there isn't a search function for OneNote on the phone that I'm aware of).

I can add a photo to OneNote once I've taken it and saved it to my phone, Evernote has a button that opens the WP7 camera and adds the photo to an Evernote page with comments. I currently have a question on the Evernote WP7 forum asking why a PDF synced over from the desktop will not open in IE on the phone but it may be something I did wrong. I found out later that it was "something" I did because when I saved the same PDF a second time it worked perfectly.

Overall I like Evernote better and am going to use it unless I discover a reason otherwise. I assume there will be OneNote improvements with Mango later this year and maybe I'll end up switching back. I also assume updates will be made to Evernote for WP7 (just got one this morning) and that will be better as well.

Bottom line Evernote "search" is the primary reason I'm using the app.

Last edited by buzzard; 06-18-2011 at 09:43 PM..

Old 06-19-2011, 06:29 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo158 View Post
Would be a nice app, if it worked. All I get is a blank white screen after logging in on my HD7.
It will work, just give it time. I don't know what process Evernote is doing in the background to cause is to display nothing - that's some pretty awful QA testing to not catch such an ugly bug - but it did eventually work for me. Turning on Wifi first also helps.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:41 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by humayunl View Post
My question to you Jason (or anyone else using notes on the phone) is, what makes you prefer using EverNote over OneNote, a native and reasonably decent app built into the WP7 OS? Are there other features of EverNote that you don't find in OneNote?
Honestly? I haven't tried OneNote seriously in a while. I just fired it up, and my overall feeling was "meh". Looks functional, but I really like the fact that, just like Dropbox, Evernote is everywhere I need it to be. Great desktop client, great iOS client, and new WP7 client that I'm still poking at and am not sure how I feel about it yet.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but OneNote isn't free, right? I know it comes with all versions of Office 2010, but that's not as good as free. I pay for Evernote's Premium features, but knowing I can install the Evernote clients on anything is worth a lot to me.

I'd have to use OneNote for a while to do a feature by feature comparison, and honestly, I'm not going to do that.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:52 PM
buzzard
Theorist

One issue with Evernote on WP7 is the space visible on the screen for each note has been limited to 2kb's per Evernote's forum although they have a workaround (their response below):

"this is indeed a platform restriction on the size of the text area which can be displayed. If you tap-and-hold on visible text towards the end of your note, wait for the vertical cursor bar to appear, and then drag down, the text should scroll."

You can manipulate the screen as they describe but I found that besides the keyboard popping up all the time the scrolling is slow at best.

Overall Evernote is a great app, one I used for 8-9 months last year but I eventually began using OneNote on my PC and when I got a WP7 I use it on there as well. The Evernote limitation (above) for me is a killer but may not be an issue for others. As I mentioned in my earlier post the Evernote search is excellent, OneNote's search not so much but OneNote doesn't have a size restriction on the WP7. I can access any OneNote note anywhere on my phone, PC or on the web, same as Evernote although as Jason wrote OneNote on the PC isn't free.