Apple Thoughts

Apple Thoughts - News & Reviews on all things Apple

Be sure to register in our forums and post your comments - we want to hear from you!

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > APPLE THOUGHTS > Apple Software (OS X)

Old 06-13-2011, 09:00 AM
Jeff Campbell
Executive Editor, Apple Thoughts
Default Reeder for Mac

http://www.macintouch.com/index.sht....2011.06.10.rdr

"Silvio Rizzi's Reeder 1.0 is a desktop Google Reader client for RSS newsfeeds. It offers synchronization with Google Reader accounts, integration with Readability, support for gestures, "send to" services (for Instapaper, ReaditLater, and Readability), support for saving to Pinboard, Delicious, and Zootool, posting to Twitter, and other features."

I've read lots of reports on this, and everyone that uses it seems to really like it. I guess they better since it's priced at $9.99 USD in the App Store for Mac [affiliate link]. I used to use NetNewsWire on my Mac, then I pretty much switched to staying in the Google screen for reading links. That isn't a very smooth way to do it so I'm glad there is a great choice for a reader for Mac. On the iPad I've primarily used Reeder [affiliate link], so it seems logical that they designed a version for the Mac. What do you use for a news reader on your Mac, or your iPad?

Old 06-13-2011, 01:10 PM
crimsonsky
Thinker

I'm still using NetNewsWire on my Macs. I tried Reeder when it was in beta, and while it's nice enough, I don't find it compelling enough to spend $10 on, especially since I only have 22 RSS feeds. On my iPad, I use NewsRack which I bought a while ago for my iPhone and since it's universal it works well on my iPad as well.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:37 PM
Dyvim
Sage

I use Reeder on my iPad and on my iPhone. I've tried many different RSS-feed reader apps (esp. on iPad) but this is the one that has stuck. Apart from Twitter, Reeder is probably my most used app on the iPhone.

I find it interesting that people think that $10 is a lot to pay for desktop software. I guess now that the Mac App Store has arrived, folks are expecting iPhone App Store prices (i.e. the race towards the bottom at 99 cents).

I might give this a try, but I've been pretty happy for years just using the Google Reader page in my browser.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:34 PM
crimsonsky
Thinker

I actually don't think $10 is a big price at all. I just don't need the software. I've paid WAY more for Mac software and don't have any issue with paying for software that I need/want. I've had Newsrack for a while & don't recall what I paid for it, but it was worth whatever I paid for it at the time.

Of course, the fact that programs like Aperture on the App Store are a fraction of the price of the boxed set cost could spoil folks!