Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 06-10-2011, 11:30 PM
Brad Wasson
Contributing Editor
Default Microsoft Discontinuing My Phone Service For Windows Mobile 6.x

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2557520

"Microsoft is discontinuing the Microsoft My Phone service for Windows Mobile 6.x. The following article provides a timeline for the service shutdown and guidance for users regarding their data stored to the My Phone service."

If you are a user of Microsoft's My Phone service on a 6.x platform, then please be aware that the service is being discontinued later this summer. There are two key dates to be aware of: August 7th, when My Phone backups will stop, and then October 6th when the My Phone website will be taken down. Note that Microsoft will migrate data to Windows Live Skydrive. Hit the Read link for full details on this service change and how it will impact you.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:17 AM
Dave76
Neophyte

And this is one of the reasons why my next phone probably won't be a Windows Phone. I bought my current Windows mobile device less than 2 years ago which means I'm stuck in my current contract without upgrade pricing for a while. Now Microsoft has decided they are going to discontinue a vital service before the old devices have reached the end of their life. There are providers still selling 6.5 devices new. I understand that 6.5 is dead and Windows Phone is the way of the future but it doesn't give me much confidence in the new platform that Microsoft is so willing to abandon users who are stuck with old devices. After this and Kin, why would I lock myself into a Windows Phone device for 2 years when Microsoft has show a willingness to ditch their customers?

Old 06-13-2011, 11:29 PM
shots95
Neophyte

I agree. It seems Microsoft is throwing the WM 6.5 users under the bus. WM 6.5 phones are still a substantial number of total smart phones out there and are still an important OS in business and healthcare. I remember when Windows phone 7 was in process, Microsoft said they will always support the WM 6.5 users as they perfect the new system. It seems we are now the lost orphans of the smart phone industry. In fact this web site rarely even mentions WM 6.5. My Omnia II is still a great phone although I am considering going back to Palm (had Sony Clia- great device) in the WebOS domain when the HP Pre 3 is released.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:09 PM
maxnix
Intellectual
Default How Soon MS Forgets!

So now MS is eating their elders?

I do like the WP7 interface, but even if it becomes as fully functional as Android, things like this will keep me from returning to it.

MS has succeeded in alienating all previous WP users. Nice going, Balmer!

Old 06-21-2011, 05:44 PM
Rob Alexander
Sage

It's worse than that. They are also discontinuing the Windows Marketplace for WM 6.5. It's been less than a year since they were selling WM 6.5 phones, they happily took our money for the apps, and now they are screwing us completely.

After being with Windows PDA's and smartphones from Windows CE 1.0 (Philips Velo 1) to WM 6.5 (HTC Imagio), I didn't move to WP7. I bought an iPhone instead, because I didn't particularly like the direction they were taking WP7. Now I am glad to be out of this ecosystem, because they are putting you all on notice that your shiny new WP7 phone may not be supported a year from now. They did this with their MP3 service, they've done it to their WM customers and they'll do it to you too, if (probably when) they decide to change directions once again.

Unfortunately, my wife loves her WM 6.5 phone and doesn't want to give it up, so I'm stuck trying to keep it working without even being able to access many of the applications she bought.