Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 05-30-2011, 05:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default abroadband: Data Access for Travellers

http://www.abroadband.com/

My friend Rafe Blanford pointed out this service, which I hadn't heard of until now. It looks interesting - at current rates, it's about 86 cents USD/CAD per MB, and they support SIMs, microSIMs, and USB sticks. That's not "I'm going to order a TV season on iTunes and download it all" cheap, but if you were careful about not downloading email attachments and were sparing with your Internet access, you could make a $40 investment last a week or two. While you can check your online balance easily, it seems this isn't a true pre-pay solution...the metre keeps running without stopping, so be careful what you decide to download.

Note that this is for data only: this is for your laptop, tablet, or I-only-want-Internet-phone. If you want to use your phone abroad and do voice calls, text, etc. you'll need to get a SIM from a wireless carrier. Anyone know of a service similar to this but for full phone service?

Old 05-30-2011, 05:32 PM
Arne Hess
Thinker

It should be mentioned that abroadband is currently shipping to European countries only - unfortunately. However, they told me that they are working to expand it to other countries as well. Also they are constantly adding new roaming partners to their list.

Works quite good and I've recently gave it a quick hands-on.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:35 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne Hess View Post
Works quite good and I've recently gave it a quick hands-on.
Awesome, nicely done Arne!

Old 05-31-2011, 06:25 PM
mrozema
Intellectual

My wife and I recently vacationed in Spain for two weeks. During that time I wanted to use my Google Nexus One for data (e-mail, Facebook, language translation, maps), texting, and the odd phone call.

While on a walk through Barcelona, my wife and I came across an Orange retail store. We went inside to see what they offered in a pay-as-you-go format and what we walked out with was their Dolphin sim card loaded up with 10 Euros credit.

It doesn't sound like much, but 10 Euros got us unlimited internet (speed throttled above 500MB) for the whole trip and a handful of calls and texts.

Their coverage was great. I was never without reception. Also, the customer service was fantastic!

Total cost for 2 weeks of mobile telephone and internet: 15 Euros

Old 05-31-2011, 06:40 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrozema View Post
It doesn't sound like much, but 10 Euros got us unlimited internet (speed throttled above 500MB) for the whole trip and a handful of calls and texts.
Wow. That shows how badly us in North America are getting screwed by the plans and rates we have here...

Old 06-01-2011, 07:26 AM
Lee Yuan Sheng
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
Wow. That shows how badly us in North America are getting screwed by the plans and rates we have here...
Hi, welcome to the rest of the world.