Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 05-09-2011, 05:00 AM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor
Default WP7 To Beat Android...Really?

http://www.wpcentral.com/wp7-overtake-android-2015

"Pyramid Research's Senior Analyst and Practice Leader for Mobile Devices, Stela Bokun, has compiled the firm's latest Smartphone Forecast, which reveals some interesting predictions...Despite the fact that Android will be the mobile OS at the center of surge, Bokun reports that Windows Phone will actually continue to gain marketshare, until it finally replaces Android at the top in 2015."

That's a pretty optimistic forecast. Even assuming Apple and Google stand still, it's a tough call to make especially given WP7's current momentum. Speaking as someone with some experience of statistical forecasting, the error rate that far out will be pretty big. On the other hand, I really respect someone who has the guts to put their opinions out there, especially one that goes against the grain.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:24 PM
txa1265
Intellectual

"current momentum" is an interesting choice, since according to this MS has been losing market share ever since launching WP7, something they were already doing but something that SHOULD have stopped with the launch of the new phone OS ... or sometime thereafter ...

Old 05-09-2011, 05:41 PM
Nelson Ocampo
Ponderer

While Windows Mobile didn't have a huge market share. It did have a significant market share. And confusing the loss of market share of Windows Mobile and the growth of Windows Phone can lead you to the wrong conclusions.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:07 AM
Macguy59
Mystic

I'm guessing thats based mostly on Nokia handsets running WP7.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:11 AM
txa1265
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macguy59 View Post
It is assuming that the team of Nokia - who has been bleeding market share since before the iPhone and has screwed their most loyal fans repeatedly in recent years, and Microsoft - who has likewise shown their penchant to screw mobile users, abandon their music formats and screw users that way ... would unite and suddenly stop being two of the most negatively viewed entities out there ...

They (Nokia and Microsoft) need to do BETTER than everyone else and faster ... just to stay alive in mobile.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:30 PM
Nelson Ocampo
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macguy59 View Post
Yes.

Contrary to what some may say, Nokia still has a very strong brand worldwide. Yes, their market share has been going down. But I don't believe it has to do with their hardware quality.

Competing Android devices are offering things that Nokia's competitors weren't offering before. Nokia knew that they needed to make a move to reverse this trend. So they partnered up with an ecosystem that they're betting will end up being extremely strong.

If only 25-30% of Nokia's customers are willing to give Windows Phone a try in the next few years it will propel Windows Phone into being a major player.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:41 PM
txa1265
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Ocampo View Post
Contrary to what some may say, Nokia still has a very strong brand worldwide. Yes, their market share has been going down. But I don't believe it has to do with their hardware quality.
Speaking to some EU friends I find that even there the image is quite tarnished and not seen in a positive light anymore.

Microsoft I think benefits from no longer being seen as the Evil Empire (Apple has that distinction, and Google is doing a good enough job bamboozling folks with the 'we're open BS' to hold off the label a bit longer).

Yet both MS and Nokia are also seen as dinosaurs of a past generation.

This means that what they produce needs to show significant advantage over iOS and Android to succeed. Most reports show that Android would never be as successful as it is had Apple gotten the iPhone on a bunch of carriers worldwide. But one single carrier, Android was able to step in with a multitude of solutions and gain traction.

What leverage will MS offer? RIM is losing the corporate world rapidly to Android and iOS ... and MS lost it long ago.

Palm is offering new Touch-sync technology ... what will MS do?

I am not dooming them, but rather looking for a reality check on how they go from two rapidly failing mobile companies with a relatively unbroken string of failures to #1 in the market?

I mean ... it is this simple?

Nokia is HUGE
Microsoft is HUGE
Profit!

Old 05-12-2011, 08:29 PM
Nelson Ocampo
Ponderer

I think you forgot to add "quality product" to your equation. And in my opinion, that's a big factor.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:57 PM
Richard76
Intellectual

And with the "error rate" on that forecast being discounted by roughly 20% per year, well you do the math!

Old 05-25-2011, 01:01 PM
Lakshmi Balu
Neophyte

Androids are worshipped by their uses owing to their updates easy to use interfaces. Even though Microsoft has promised 500 features on the Mango (Window phone 7.5) am sure the PC App giant will hope the iOS 5 and Ice Cream Sandwich aren�t hiding some even better surprises.