Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 04-27-2011, 10:06 PM
Richard Chao
Contributing Editor
Default NoDo Update For AT&T Surround Now Scheduling

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_...ate-status.aspx

"We're now scheduling the February and March updates for the HTC Surround on AT&T and for customers of Deutsche Telekom in Europe. We're also scheduling the March update for Optus customers in Australia. Where's my phone update? has the latest status."

Great news for those of you with the AT&T HTC Surround. According to the Windows Team Blog, your update is now listed as scheduling and should be available for you to install soon.  

Old 04-28-2011, 07:11 AM
virain
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to virain

oh, Boy! and not a moment too soon!

Old 04-28-2011, 02:18 PM
Fritzly
Sage

In general I always try to say that the glass is half full and not half empty but consider a "February update" released in May "great news" is a real stretch; to me is just a big failure compared to what MS initially announced as their update strategy for WP7.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:47 PM
tal
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzly View Post
In general I always try to say that the glass is half full and not half empty but consider a "February update" released in May "great news" is a real stretch.
This really doesn't sound to me like a half-full guy talking. Considering that the Feb-update wasn't of any importance to consumers (no features/fixes, just a update-preparation) and we have still April a half-full perspective would be that it's a March update delivered in April.

Quote:
to me is just a big failure compared to what MS initially announced as their update strategy for WP7.
They certainly blundered on the timeline but in this special case it really seems that there was a problem with the Surround which popped up in the tests. Personally I think that it was the right decisicion to iron-out all the small problems encountered with the update process first and wait a few more weeks.

Certainly I would have liked the update earlier and I expect MS to learn from this first update so that the next will happen i a more timely fashion but it wasn't really a big deal for me to wait a few weeks more (it's much harder to wait till Mango will be released ). Sooner or later all devices will have received the free update. If you think of Android and how many devices never (or with far bigger delays) receive an update, I think MS did not such a bad job. Not to mention Windows Mobile where we hardly ever got an update.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:02 PM
Fritzly
Sage

I remember when MS was heralding that among many other improvements WP7 OS was supposed to receive updates directly from the OS maufacturer with no partners and less than ever carriers involvement.

I wonder what will happen if a security patch will be needed; will people who bought the device through carriers will have to wait for carriers testing?

Besides all these arguments that carriers need to be involved in the process are just bs: in the Countries where the carriers racket was not allowed to lock the market people buy the devices they want and use them on any available network.

Besides based on Paul Thurrot and other people statements the "NODO" update was ready in January.

Old 04-30-2011, 03:40 AM
Richard Chao
Contributing Editor

Quote:
In general I always try to say that the glass is half full and not half empty but consider a "February update" released in May "great news" is a real stretch; to me is just a big failure compared to what MS initially announced as their update strategy for WP7.
Great news in that the other two AT&T WP7 phones already got their updates and now the Surround owners will be caught up. Not so much in the whole update scheme.