Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 04-19-2011, 11:18 PM
Richard Chao
Contributing Editor
Default Undocumented NoDo Features

http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/201...des-and-tweaks/

"Everyone knows the main elements of NoDo: faster app launching, Marketplace search and copy/paste support. But what about the changes that are off the record?"

Cut-and-paste is one of the well known additions that comes with NoDo.  But, did you know, in addition to the known features there are a few useful undocumented tweaks also?  

A list of the undocumented changes and features that comes with NoDo is now being put together.  A couple of examples of such changes is the anti-shake feature is now enabled by default on the Samsung Focus and contact pictures can now be pulled from a social network or the album.  Click the read link for the full list.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:58 PM
paschott
Intellectual

The Anti-shake feature for the camera came with the Samsung update, not the NoDo update. I had NoDo for a while and it looks like all of the ATT/Focus specific changes were released in the Post-NoDo update for the Samsung Focus. (Branded to AT&T only - if you unbranded to get the NoDo update, you'll need to re-brand to get the Samsung firmware and tweaks.)

Old 04-20-2011, 12:59 AM
Richard Chao
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by paschott View Post
The Anti-shake feature for the camera came with the Samsung update, not the NoDo update. I had NoDo for a while and it looks like all of the ATT/Focus specific changes were released in the Post-NoDo update for the Samsung Focus. (Branded to AT&T only - if you unbranded to get the NoDo update, you'll need to re-brand to get the Samsung firmware and tweaks.)
Thank you for the clarification. I haven't updated mine yet. Do the camera settings default back to original settings if you leave the camera or does it stick?

Old 04-20-2011, 04:41 AM
paschott
Intellectual

Actually may be slightly off on this one. AT&T may have been able to combine the NoDo update w/ the Samsung changes for those not already on NoDo, but those who updated earlier some other way generally had a Samsung update as well. I can't speak for those who didn't update early.

As for the camera settings, the only change was to default "Anti-Shake" to "On". For me, that's good enough for now as that's the main change I wanted to make the point & shoot usable. Without that the picture quality was generally horrible because I couldn't get a really still shot. I can now wait for the ability to really save my defaults.

From what I recall, MS has heard their user base on wanting to change the default settings and will work on that for some future update, but no dates or anything other than "yeah, we heard you on that one and you don't like that decision". It's unlikely to come in Mango, but we'll hear more as that date gets closer. For me, I'm now looking forward to MS enabling deeper access to the phone and opening up more APIs along with task switching. I like the "back" idea, but the ability to jump to some other recent/tombstoned app will help my regular use.