Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 04-16-2011, 09:30 AM
Richard Chao
Contributing Editor
Default Quick Tip: Buy Apps From Zune Desktop Client Instead Of Phone

This is just a quick tip for those new to WP7.  

Purchase and install apps from the Zune Desktop client instead of from your phone when possible.  It might not be immediately available to you if you choose to install over the air due to the wait between queuing up and your phone pulling the new app down, but it'll be a lot easier on you if you ever need to hard reset your phone or get a new phone.  Apps purchased from the desktop client automatically reinstall themselves in instances where you hard reset or get a new phone whereas those purchased on the phone will have to be individually selected and re-installed from the marketplace.  

Old 04-16-2011, 04:45 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Well that is pretty silly, isn't it? Zune on the desktop is aware of everything I've purchased. It's in the Purchase History under settings. Beyond that, what makes them think that just because I bought it, I want it back on my phone when I hard reset. Why aren't there put it on my device, or don't put it on my device for WP7 like there are for my Zune HD in the apps section, which BTW shos me all the apps I have bought/downloaded by icons.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:18 PM
EricMCarson
Ponderer
Default Not True

I did a hard reset on my Dell Venue Pro when I replaced the built-in 8GB microSD with a 32GB model. All of my apps and games purchased OTA reinstalled themselves in the first couple of hours. The only thing I did was login with my Live account, as prompted, during the inital startup process of the phone.

So there is no need to buy through Zune desktop to get apps to auto-reinstall after a hard reset.