Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 04-14-2011, 07:00 AM
Nelson Ocampo
Ponderer
Default Get Ready to Skype From Your Windows Phone This Year

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/13/...-windows-phone/

"You heard right -- Skype just went from 'nowhere near' Windows Phone 7, to 'on the roadmap,' to 'definitely coming this fall.'"

Microsoft's Joe Belifore confirmed at the Mix11 conference that Skype is coming to Windows Phone 7 in a few months.  It wasn't too long ago that Skype seemed disinterested in developing an app for Windows Phone.  But I guess a lot could change in a few months. Especially knowing that Microsoft is opening up key access to ports that Skype would likely be using.

Belifore mentioned that Microsoft has been working closely with Skype, and had a lot of praise to give them.  That gives an indication that there is likely more involved than Skype simply deciding to create an app on their own. 

It's clear that people at Microsoft do see what customers are asking for, and that they are actively pursuing ways to turn those wants into reality.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:28 AM
virain
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to virain

I wander, if this Skype will support video calling, and if WP7 devices will get front facing camera by then?

Old 04-14-2011, 08:10 AM
Richard Chao
Contributing Editor

Definitely need front camera support.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:54 PM
liljohn
Pupil

Without a forward facing camera I am not interested in it. Please give us the forward facing camera...

Old 04-15-2011, 11:31 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

It'd be cool, but do that many folks really do video conferencing from their phones? Just the ability to do IM and VoIP in a relatively 'universal' app seems pretty good.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:51 AM
virain
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to virain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
It'd be cool, but do that many folks really do video conferencing from their phones? Just the ability to do IM and VoIP in a relatively 'universal' app seems pretty good.
Actually, pretty much every iPhone 4 owners that use Skype in my surrounding can't get enough of video calling, I suspect, some use Skype video call even more than regular voice call. I used this feature a lot before I got rid of my iPhone 4. It's very cool to be able to show someone on another end what you are seeing at the moment. For fun and business, of course.