Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 04-11-2011, 03:30 PM
Brad Wasson
Contributing Editor
Default Review Of The Samsung 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/wir...ile+Technology)

"In 2009 Verizon introduced the MiFi 2200, the first mobile hotspot. This small business card-sized gadget could connect up to five notebooks, smart phones, or other devices to its 3G data network via Wi-Fi. Now the company is supercharging the concept with the Samsung 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot SCH-LC11 ($99 with a rebate and two-year contract), a 4G-enabled router that can connect users at nearly 10 times the speed of 3G."

Laptopmg.com has recently posted a review of the Samsung 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot. If you are unfamiliar with these devices, the idea is that you connect the hotspot device to a provider's data network, and then can allow multiple other devices to connect to the hotspot over a Wi-Fi connection. These sorts of devices started appearing around 2009, and they can indeed be very effective at enabling connections for multiple devices (smartphones, laptops, tablets, and more). There are a few parameters to watch carefully when you are evaluating these devices, including their size and weight (you will be carrying it around), how device status is communicated to you (via lights and readouts), availability of ports, and, of course, overall performance. This particular evaluation concluded that the Samsung 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot is very capable device. Set up was straightforward, albeit a little slow. The device was tested on a 4G network, although it can switch automatically between 3G and 4G. The review also compares the device to an LG VL600 USB modem and a smartphone operating as a mobile hotspot and in tethered mode (the HTC Thunderbolt, an Android smart phone that can share its 4G signal both as a mobile hotspot and via a USB connection). If you are looking for this sort of device, this should probably be on your shortlist. Hit the Read link for full test results.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:22 PM
entropy1980
Oracle

I put up my review on it here: http://www.mobileslash.com/2011/04/0...1-lte-hotspot/

I like it. A lot. It's really so stinking fast if it weren't for the cap I would seriously consider using it for my main internet connection. Anxious to see how the network holds up once they get a lot of people on it.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:27 PM
hummingbirdhill
Ponderer

I upgraded my MiFi to a Samsung Hotspot today after using my husband's for a few days. The wireless signal is 4 bars in the same room and two bars (plenty adequate for internet connection) through several walls to the other side of our house.

Wireless broadband is our sole internet connection since no dsl or satellite service is available in our boondocks.

Both Samsung devices connected quickly and easily to our puters and thence to the net. (I did have to call Verizon to deactivate my MiFi but that was the only delay.)

Little Rock area hasn't 4G yet so we're using the 3G. But I'm saving quite a bit on the monthly fee with the 4G devices---strangely enough.

The sole negative (for me) of the Samsung is its inability to act as a modem when plugged into a puter. The MiFi, when plugged into a puter, is available only to the puter it is plugged into, whereas the Samsung is always available to anyone in the area. A password is required to use the Samsung but how secure is that? I mean, don't some individuals figure how to hack into "secure" networks? Or am I being paranoid?