Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Hardware & Accessories

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-05-2011, 05:05 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Notes from my Nikon D5100 Pre-Release Briefing

In lieu of a full report, which is no longer interesting to me at this point, I decided to write up, point form, some of the interesting things I learned about the Nikon D5100 DLSR and ME-1 microphone - the things that aren't necessarily in the press release. Enjoy, and let me know if you have any questions - I'll do my best to answer.

• The D5100 and ME-1 Stereo Microphone should be in-market by the end of April. The earthquake/tsunami in Japan didn't have an impact on the production of these products.
  • The D5100 is compatible with UHS SD Cards, along with the usual SD, SDHC, SDXC
  • Based on some of the impressive new in-camera creative features, I asked Nikon if there were any plans to roll out similar features to other EXSPEED 2-powered cameras such as the D7000 or D3100 via firmware updates. The answer was no. I think this is unfortunate - it makes little sense to have a new and powerful camera such as the D7000 lacking features that the D5100 has. And, certainly, the D3100-using crowd would love some of the new features.
  • I asked about the in-camera HDR; it only uses two images, and typically for HDR you want three or more. Two images is the optimal number of images for non-tripod users according to Nikon. As in, three would be hard to do hand-held and too much ghosting would occur with more than two. There's no "tripod mode" for the HDR however, and worse, you can't use it with raw files. This is a simplistic, JPEG-only, two shot tool. You can, however, set it to +1/+2/+3 stops on the exposure - so your first photo is at +0 EV, and your next one is between +1 and +3. You also can't convert previously captured JPEGs. Lots of unfortunate limitations here, but let's face it, if you want high-quality HDR images, you're going to want to shoot three to nine images in raw format on a tripod and use dedicated software such as the ultra-awesome NIK HDR EFEX PRO (seriously, it rocks). 

• There are more video modes to choose from: 1080p 30fps, 1080p 24fps, 720p 30fps, 720p 24fps, and likely at least one standard-definition capture. Each setting has a high-quality and a normal quality option. I asked Nikon what the bit rates were for these settings, and other than confirming that the two options differed by bit rate, I was not provided with the information. Nikon did the same thing with the D7000 - it's bizarre they won't tell us what the bit rate is!
  • This is the same 16.2 megapixel CMOS sensor as the D7000; that means from an image quality perspective, it will be a leap beyond the D5000 and the D3100. It uses the EXSPEED2 processor as well.
  • At 4fps, it's not bad from a speed perspective, but while it might have the same sensor as the D7000, it can't keep up in the fast action department. 
  • It's rated for 100,000 shutter actuations, but will typically do twice that without issue.
  • The D5100 is 50% faster at processing image data than the D5000.
  • It uses the same 11-point auto focus system found in the D3100. Ditto for the 420 pixel RGB metering sensor. The D7000 sensor by comparison is 2016 pixels.
  • It has a three inch, 921K dot resolution screen. It's the same screen as the D300, D7000, etc. This is a very nice screen and it's a welcome addition to a DSLR under $1000.
  • There's an infrared receiver - the ML-L3 - on the front and back.
  • There's basic in-camera editing for video, along with a still frame grab (at 1920 x 1080 resolution). Video is shot using the h.264 codec, and there's a 20 minute time limit per clip.
  • There's an external microphone input, making this a clear step above the D3100 when it comes to video.
  • Guess what plugs into that external microphone input? The new ME-1 Stereo Microphone. $159.99 Canadian MSRP. Optimal cord placement - it doesn't come out the back like some do. Comes with a wind screen, a lock cut filter on the back to help deal with the wind, and doesn't pull power from the camera - so it's a "cold shoe" attachment. It's battery powered and plugs into the audio input in the camera.
  • There's a boatload of special effects. Notably, you can turn on Live View or D-Movie mode and see some of the effects such as Colour Sketch, Selective Colour, and the Miniature Effect.
  • You can select up to three colours at a time in an image to retain, the rest of the image/video turns to B&W - and you can see this real-time. Sweet!
  • Some of the effects don't record at 30fps; the miniature effect for instance records 2-3 fps then builds it back into a 30fps clip - looks a bit like a stop-motion effect.