Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 04-05-2011, 03:00 AM
Brad Wasson
Contributing Editor
Default Patience May Be All That Is Needed For Strong Market Positioning For Windows Phone 7

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/03/b...?_r=1&src=busln

"Make way, however, for Windows Phone. Yes, Windows Phone. Despite Microsoft's multiple, abject failures with mobile phones since 2002, many software developers and industry watchers expect Microsoft to become the second-largest smartphone player worldwide."

Predictions in the smartphone world are risky business at the best of times, so you may want to take this New York Times article with a fair bit of trepidation. But, it does seem plausible when you read their logic. Their analysis is that at year-end Android will have a 39.5 percent share of smartphones worldwide (based on projections from IDC). Symbian (from Nokia) would be second, at 20.9 percent, while Apple's iOS, would be third, at 15.7. Windows Phone 7 and its predecessor, Windows Mobile, would be at 5.5 percent. They believe this will change dramatically as Nokia switches from Symbian to the Windows Phone 7 platform. Their projections are that by 2015 Android will hold slightly over 45 percent of the market, while Windows Phone 7 will occupy second place, at 20.9 percent. Third will be Apple's iOS, which is projected to stay near 15 percent. BlackBerry, then as now, would be No. 4 at slightly less than 14 percent.

So, what do you think? Can this possibly happen?

Old 04-05-2011, 04:05 PM
txa1265
Intellectual

I have no thoughts in terms of actual numbers, but there are any amount of scenarios that could have Apple looking like Palm, Android looking like RIM, and so on... so sure, why not put WP7 at #1 while we're at it!

Seriously, this entire thing is predicated upon Nokia halting their exponential slide, and giving 100% of their market share to Microsoft ... who has also been bleeding market share even AFTER WP7.

It just makes no sense ... it is like saying OS/2 lost, and Netscape lost, but an OS/2 / Netscape partnership ... winning!

My prediction - Nokia is pretty much done in the US and everywhere outside of EU where they will be marginalized. Microsoft never recovers and the pair remain below 10%.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:41 PM
mjlayton
Neophyte
Default Down By One

I use my phone as a PDA on mobile 6.5. My phone needs to be replaced and mobile 7 does not interface with windows outlook. It was handy for me and the only real need I had for windows mobile. I guess I can dust off my old PDA and by a cheap phone.