Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 04-02-2011, 05:30 PM
Steven McPherson
Contributing Editor-in-Training
Send a message via MSN to Steven McPherson
Default Imagewind RIP: Microsoft Removes Potentially Controversial App from Marketplace

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/01/...gets-first-bit/

"Microsoft has pulled pulled Imagewind from the Windows Phone Marketplace, an app that basically pulls random images en masse from the Twitter-stream, splaying them all over your touchscreen."

So it appears that Microsoft has taken one of the first steps that I have heard of since the release of the Windows Phone 7 platform and availability of the Marketplace to remove an already released app that they believe could be somewhat controversial.  The app, Imagewind, which takes random pictures from a "twitter-stream" and enables you to display them on your phone does so without a "filter" in Microsoft's opinion.   The filter that Microsoft has indicated it would like to see would filter out less than desirable or "seedy" images.  To me, this sounds like a really cool app, but could also make for some very uncomfortable situations when less than desirable images pop up on your screen.  I'm voting for a good call, however, this one I could also put into the "don't install it if you don't like it" category.  I'm neutral but not in favor censoring others creations.  

Old 04-04-2011, 01:41 AM
MadSci
Ponderer

hopefully it will reappear with a Filter that defaults to "ON" but that you can also turn "OFF" - giving everyone the choice they deserve, without any unnecessary 'surprises'