Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 03-30-2011, 02:30 AM
Brad Wasson
Contributing Editor
Default Windows Phone 7 Update Saga Continues

http://siliconangle.com/blog/2011/0...one-statements/

"In a Channel 9 interview on March 25, Joe Belfiore made a few statements regarding the whole update mess that is plaguing Windows Phone 7 that saw quite a bit of backlash right across the tech blogosphere, including my post on the subject. It turns out that Belfiore has been reading many of those posts and comments; along with the Windows Phone management team, and as a result he left a long comment on the original Channel 9 post addressing what people had to say about his statements in the interview."

Microsoft planned for what it thought would be a relatively seamless update process for its Windows Phone 7 platform. Many users view this as a critical process as they want to have and see the latest and greatest operating system features delivered and available on their phones as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, there have been a few snags getting this working effectively. The update experience seems to be varying from "not happening at all" to "it didn't seem to go to well" to "it was great". Microsoft has been trying to figure out why there is variability in the process. Information has been unfolding, and parts of the blogoshpere are up in arms about what appears to be a significant amount of control the cellular service operators are having over the testing process. To make matters worse, Joe Belfiore, who is Corporate Vice President, Windows Phone Program Management, recently gave an interview that indicated his lack of understanding or knowledge of the extent of the issues customers have been having. Steven Hodson over on the siliconANGLE website has made a number of good points about the impact of Microsoft's platform updating procedure (we are at the mercy of the operators) and Belfiore's attempt to apologize for his misunderstanding of the situation. It is well worth reading. This is a saga that is going to play out for some time to come.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:09 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

The link doesn't work, but when I remove the bad characters and try this:

http://siliconangle.com/blog/2011/03...ne-statements/

It still doesn't work. I searched their site - nothing. Looks like they pulled the story?

Old 03-30-2011, 05:37 AM
Twain
Ponderer

Try this link: http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...www.google.com

Old 03-30-2011, 05:42 AM
Twain
Ponderer

Steve Hodson posted the exact same article on WinExtra at: http://www.winextra.com/archives/mic...ne-statements/

Old 03-30-2011, 05:33 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twain View Post
Steve Hodson posted the exact same article on WinExtra at: http://www.winextra.com/archives/mic...ne-statements/
Great article there. Thanks for the link!

Old 03-30-2011, 05:56 PM
Don Tolson
Thoughts Media Review Team

I'm quite sure that carriers are not 'testing' to ensure the update works well on their equipment. That could be confirmed in a day or two. What they are 'checking' is whether their bloatware still functions the way they want it to, and that they can package it with the update.

The REALLY cynical side of me says that they may also be using this 'testing' cycle to convince users to wait for the NEXT handset, which will (by default) have the update already included. I've seen a lot of this with Rogers and their Android phones -- claiming that the phone has the latest update, then you find that it's 2 or 3 levels behind and there are NO plans to provide an upgrade path -- except to buy a new handset with the update pre-installed.

YUK....

Somehow, MS has to find a way to get the carriers OUT of the update loop here in NA. (Judging from what I've heard of the update process through Internet/Zune, that should technically be a simple matter. Contracturally may be a different matter....)

Old 03-31-2011, 11:48 AM
Fritzly
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Tolson View Post

Somehow, MS has to find a way to get the carriers OUT of the update loop here in NA. (Judging from what I've heard of the update process through Internet/Zune, that should technically be a simple matter. Contracturally may be a different matter....)
I could not agree more; "Windows update" for desktop and laptop OSes is the way to go.