Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 03-24-2011, 04:53 PM
Richard Chao
Contributing Editor
Default Is AT&T Saying The Way To Get NoDo Is Through Buying The HD7S

Like all of you I've been patiently waiting for the NoDo update.  But by now, I'm just looking forward to the bug fixes and not so much for the cut and paste.  With the fiasco that has been, namely two previous false launches of the pre-update update (I have a Samsung Focus on AT&T) and slipped ship dates, I've begun to think my phone will never be updated.  Then, news of the HD7S shows up and I started to think maybe AT&T is more committed to WP7 than I thought.  I was therefore understandably excited when I heard Microsoft was finally officially pushing the update out.  Well, AT&T has popped my bubble once again.  

It seems the carriers have much more power to block updates than originally told.  Microsoft's update matrix is showing that AT&T is blocking not one but two updates on all their WP7 phones.  Whereas T-Mobile USA is in queue to update their device soon.  At this point, I feel AT&T is telling me the way to get NoDo is by going to their store and plopping down a few hundred dollars for a HD7S and not by tethering my existing phone to Zune.  

Please Microsoft, you need to push your carrier partners to stick to their prior commitments and start approving and pushing updates to users.  Especially when the OS is still in its infancy stage.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:09 PM
BobbyCannon
Pupil
Send a message via MSN to BobbyCannon

Microsoft states that the carriers can only block one update but there are now two updates release.

Guess what I still don't have either one of them. This doesn't make me to happy.

AT&T - Samsung Focus.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:28 PM
virain
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to virain

I guess I in AT&T vocabulary, NoDo means Don't Do

Old 03-24-2011, 06:39 PM
txa1265
Intellectual

Jeez ... as if MS isn't having a hard enough time this go-round.

Not to bring Apple into this, but that is the reason I think what they did with the iPhone was so smart - the 'you worry about network, we worry about phone' thing.

I know with multiple carriers and makers and models such simplicity is unrealistic, but I see this issue with Android as well, although it has gotten better recently (or so it seems).

... and THIS is why people hate the carriers!

Old 03-24-2011, 07:04 PM
Richard Chao
Contributing Editor

Just wait until AT&T is the only GSM carrier.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:08 PM
txa1265
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Chao View Post
Just wait until AT&T is the only GSM carrier.
Ugh, that is SO true - every time you read something about GSM it is how T-Mo is doing good stuff for their customers while ATT is screwing them over (cue Lily Tomlin: we're the phone company, we don't have to care!).

Old 03-24-2011, 08:26 PM
TKETZ196
Pupil

This is why AT&T is a terrible carrier. All carriers in general are terrible but AT&T is the worst. this make me happy I did not jump ship from my HTC Fuze and get a new Windows Phone 7.

I would like to see the platform mature more before I make the jump to Windows Phone 7. I really like the new platform; I think MSFT did a great job at reinventing the OS.

I do not blame MSFT for the stagnant updates, although I wish they would speed up the updates rather than create full service packs like the forthcoming "Mango" update. I really blame the wireless carriers for their poor treatment of their customers. I 100% agree with Paul Thurrott that the wireless carriers are to blame. I think it was a dumb move for MSFT to let the carriers have the power to block updates. It stunts the growth of Windows Phone 7.

As a side note, I hope AT&T T-Mobile merger does not go through.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:38 PM
Richard Chao
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKETZ196 View Post
This is why AT&T is a terrible carrier. All carriers in general are terrible but AT&T is the worst. this make me happy I did not jump ship from my HTC Fuze and get a new Windows Phone 7.

I would like to see the platform mature more before I make the jump to Windows Phone 7. I really like the new platform; I think MSFT did a great job at reinventing the OS.

I do not blame MSFT for the stagnant updates, although I wish they would speed up the updates rather than create full service packs like the forthcoming "Mango" update. I really blame the wireless carriers for their poor treatment of their customers. I 100% agree with Paul Thurrott that the wireless carriers are to blame. I think it was a dumb move for MSFT to let the carriers have the power to block updates. It stunts the growth of Windows Phone 7.

As a side note, I hope AT&T T-Mobile merger does not go through.
I think mini updates with bigger service pack every once in a while would be good too. Maybe the mini updates can come over the air while the service packs are tethered.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:39 PM
BobbyCannon
Pupil
Send a message via MSN to BobbyCannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKETZ196 View Post
... I do not blame MSFT for the stagnant updates, ...
Why not? It's there fault that they allow carriers to block updates.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:26 PM
TKETZ196
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyCannon View Post
Why not? It's there fault that they allow carriers to block updates.
I was only looking at it from a technical point of view. Contractually (with wireless carriers/ and possibly OEM handset makers), yes you are correct about the stagnant updates. From the tech p.o.v., I think they have done an "ok" job with updating the operating system and the features/bug fixes they are doing and trying to include. Like I said i wish they would work faster, or at least have a bigger team devoted to updating process.

The misstep is the contract they have with the carriers, and I believe they only did that because they really wanted their OS to be on all the carriers. I am sure that if they tried to pull an Apple and try to strong arm them to not block updates I would imagine that we (consumers) would not have the handsets available on the carriers. We would have to resort to buying unlocked phones. In turn that would demotivate the manufacturers from creating more phones and support them because no one is buying the handsets. Not everyone can afford to go out any buy a $500 handset.

I do not believe MSFT is 100% to blame but I think they are less to blame compared to the carriers. It is really their fault for not supporting a product they were willing to buy and make available for consumers.

I think once people realize that Android handsets share the same fragmented fate as Windows Mobile did and now Windows Phone, I believe there will be backlash from consumers. I think it is utterly ridiculous how they treat consumers. I would rather buy an unlock handset than buy a phone from any carrier.

Many small updates would work better because then the carriers can not just block all of them (at least until there is an updated model of a handset). I think, from what I heard and read and i could be wrong, Wireless carriers can block the latest update, but once an even newer updates get released they have to push the previous one through. If MSFT only rolled out huge "service packs like" updates then the consumer would really be missing out on all the new features. For them it would be easier to constantly roll out small incremental updates (on a bi-weekly bases perhaps or weekly).

For tech savvy people, it would be easier to go on xda dev site and to install the latest cooked rom. I heard MSFT will turn a blind eye to that and for this reason I think it would be a work around until then update mess is resolved.