Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 03-24-2011, 01:33 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default Microsoft Gives Us An Update Schedule

http://www.microsoft.com/windowspho...hedule-usa.aspx

"This table provides update status for Windows Phone customers in the U.S. Find your phone model, then check to see what stage your update is in."

In the list of Smart Ideas I Never Thought I'd See Microsoft Implement, this schedule above surely ranks near the top. For years all I've wanted (and I suspect others have too) is just to know that an update is in the works, and maybe approximately where it is. With carriers given iron curtain-like secrecy about their timing, it almost seemed as if Microsoft was complacent in their partner's delays. This sends a clear signal: Carrier partners - Get your acts together, because now everyone knows that it isn't Microsoft that's holding up the update for X phone, it's the carrier who apparently doesn't care if you get the functionality soon or not so soon. Congratulations Microsoft, you've taken your case to the people.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:04 PM
BobbyCannon
Pupil
Send a message via MSN to BobbyCannon
Question 2 updates being blocked...

I thought the carrier could only block one update. AT&T is now blocking two updates for my phone.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:43 PM
virain
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to virain

Well, I did have high hopes that MS would do updates independently, without carriers extrusion. But I guess it is still same 'ol story. Carriers have to stick their crapware into update, and will take their time to do that. MS should really consider to bring updates directly to the customers, without interface of AT&Ts of the world.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:13 PM
Richard Chao
Contributing Editor

Hmmmmm, It looks like the only way to get NoDo on AT&T is to buy the HD7S. Thanks AT&T. What a coincidence. Can't wait for you to control all GSM phones in the U.S.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:00 PM
Fritzly
Sage

I have a "SIM free", "Unbranded" HTC HD7 therefore this chart does not apply to me; I went to check the "Gobal" one and a quick comparison between the US and the Global ones clearly shows how US Carriers are interested to their customers. Check by yourself:

Where's my phone update? | Windows Phone 7

It is very sad that US customers have to at the mercy of the "carriers racket" and even worse that even MS bent over and forget the early promises of a direct from MS to customers update system.

As it was with WM X.XX the only way to have hopes for prompt updates is to buy devices on the open market......

Last edited by Fritzly; 03-24-2011 at 04:03 PM..

Old 03-24-2011, 05:40 PM
efjay
Theorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzly View Post
I have a "SIM free", "Unbranded" HTC HD7 therefore this chart does not apply to me; I went to check the "Gobal" one and a quick comparison between the US and the Global ones clearly shows how US Carriers are interested to their customers. Check by yourself:

It is very sad that US customers have to at the mercy of the "carriers racket" and even worse that even MS bent over and forget the early promises of a direct from MS to customers update system.

As it was with WM X.XX the only way to have hopes for prompt updates is to buy devices on the open market......
You're right but the sad truth is for US customers there are no open market phones available that will work fully ie with 3G on any US network. I have always tried to buy carrier free devices but recently OEM's have been confining their unbranded devices to Euro/World 3G frequencies so with WP7 there was no choice. That is why I am eagerly awating Nokia's WP7 devices because unless they do a major U-turn their penta band unlocked devices would be the answer to this mess for me. The only device that comes to mind would be the Euro Dell venue pro but I already bought the US version thinking it would be treated as a carrier free device as T-Mo did not carry it. And that has not turned out well, least of all for update issues.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:02 PM
Fritzly
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by efjay View Post
You're right but the sad truth is for US customers there are no open market phones available that will work fully ie with 3G on any US network. I have always tried to buy carrier free devices but recently OEM's have been
Yes you are right: my HD2 Europe radios) did not allow me to use T-Mobile 3G network. Said that if AT&T will complete the announced take over I guess that the 1700 Mhz frequence used by T-Mobile will disappear.
Furthermore, but take it with a grain if salt, a friend of mine bought a HD7 from T-Mobile in the US, he paid it in full and therefore he also received an unlock code to use it as a "SIM free" device; he broght it in Italy and he is able to use the local 3G network; I do not know why but it does shows 3G in the display and the downloading speed confirmed that.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:31 PM
Lee Yuan Sheng
Contributing Editor

Fritzly, that's likely because the phone has two bands, one which will work with T-Mobile, and one which will work with European bands.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:43 PM
Nelson Ocampo
Ponderer

I suppose AT&T could say that they're not technically blocking any updates right now. They're just approving them very slowly.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:31 PM
Richard76
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzly View Post

I was about to ask, "what about Canada". Thanks for posting this link but after reading the description of the different stages, shouldn't the chart for Rogers Canada read, "February-Scheduling, March-Delivering"?