Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 03-22-2011, 08:12 PM
Richard Chao
Contributing Editor
Default Official NoDo Update Is Now Available For Some Handsets

http://www.winrumors.com/windows-ph...-now-available/

"The company began pushing out "NoDo" to devices on Tuesday after a number of device ROMs leaked to the Internet early. Microsoft's first Windows Phone 7 platform update features copy and paste and a whole lot more. Windows Phone users who received the "NoDo" update early on Tuesday have confirmed that Microsoft is pushing out build 7390 under the "Windows Phone Update - March 2011″ push."

The official NoDo update is now being pushed out to select handsets.  According to user reports, it appears Microsoft will target unbranded handsets in the first batch.  Presumably if no issues are found, Microsoft will then roll the update to more handsets.  

Microsoft has also posted a revised change-log for build 7390.  The revise log contains a more comprehensive list of updates included in the current version of the NoDo.    

Last edited by Richard Chao; 03-22-2011 at 08:16 PM..

Old 03-22-2011, 08:52 PM
paschott
Intellectual

Waiting patiently for the update to hit the Focus. Apparently not alone there. Even then, I may wait for a couple of brave souls to perform the update first. Not sure what will happen for people who installed a microSD card and have it slightly filled, but I'd rather not be among the first to find out that the results are bad. (Good, on the other hand....)

Regardless, I'm glad that some people are starting to see the update, even if it's not me yet. MS should have pushed out to the other handsets once they knew those were working if only to have some semi-good publicity. They've been pretty bad at communications throughout this process.

Next up - figure out what I need to do in order to carrier unlock my device.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:17 PM
Adan Galvan
Contributing Editor

No update yet for my HD7.

I agree this has been bungled. But you know what.... I can't wait! After this the long countdown for Mango will start.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:34 PM
Don Tolson
Thoughts Media Review Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by paschott View Post
Waiting patiently for the update to hit the Focus. Apparently not alone there. Even then, I may wait for a couple of brave souls to perform the update first. Not sure what will happen for people who installed a microSD card and have it slightly filled, but I'd rather not be among the first to find out that the results are bad. (Good, on the other hand....)

Regardless, I'm glad that some people are starting to see the update, even if it's not me yet. MS should have pushed out to the other handsets once they knew those were working if only to have some semi-good publicity. They've been pretty bad at communications throughout this process.

Next up - figure out what I need to do in order to carrier unlock my device.
If you mean SIM unlock (i.e. be able to stick in someone else's SIM card), this is easy. Just do a Bing or Google or eBay of 'unlock code for Samsung Focus'. You'll likely get a number of hits, with costs from $5 to $50. Pick a dealer who looks fairly reputable, then send them your model, carrier currently on and IMEI code. They will send back a code that the phone will prompt for when you insert the new SIM card. Whole thing takes about 5min.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:37 PM
Don Tolson

Likewise nothing yet for AT&T-logoed LG Quantum... but I'm not holding my breath, given that AT&T refused to send out the earlier 'update to the update' update...

Old 03-23-2011, 12:01 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Still haven't gotten the first update, so I'm not holding out high hopes I'll see this one any time soon. Damn you AT&T!

Old 03-23-2011, 12:23 AM
Don Tolson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
Still haven't gotten the first update, so I'm not holding out high hopes I'll see this one any time soon. Damn you AT&T!
Hey... we could have Samsung Foci and be anxiously waiting for Rogers to open up the 'update' window for us....

Old 03-23-2011, 02:46 AM
Richard Chao
Contributing Editor

Those of us with branded phones might be waiting a few days because I'm hearing that some carriers are waiting to see if the unbranded guys have any issues before they roll their updates out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paschott View Post
Not sure what will happen for people who installed a microSD card and have it slightly filled, but I'd rather not be among the first to find out that the results are bad.
Just remember, make sure your computer has enough storage space to do a backup of your phone's total used space. Some people's updates were failing due to lack of space on the host computer to do a proper backup of the phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Tolson View Post
If you mean SIM unlock (i.e. be able to stick in someone else's SIM card), this is easy. Just do a Bing or Google or eBay of 'unlock code for Samsung Focus'. You'll likely get a number of hits, with costs from $5 to $50. Pick a dealer who looks fairly reputable, then send them your model, carrier currently on and IMEI code. They will send back a code that the phone will prompt for when you insert the new SIM card. Whole thing takes about 5min.
If I remember correctly, the Focus codes are controlled by AT&T. I remember looking for the code all over the internet and everyone I contacted said the Focus was not available to them for unlocking. Some people had luck when they contacted Samsung but most were told to talk to AT&T. This was about four months ago. I'm not sure if this is still the case.

Last edited by Richard Chao; 03-23-2011 at 02:51 AM..

Old 03-23-2011, 05:06 AM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor

I'm updating my (unbranded) HD7 right now. Will let you guys know how I get on.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:25 AM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor

Done! Took an hour, mostly because of the backup process. Copy and paste as advertised, not sure about the rest. Still no marketplace for my region