Apple Thoughts

Apple Thoughts - News & Reviews on all things Apple

Be sure to register in our forums and post your comments - we want to hear from you!

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > APPLE THOUGHTS > Apple iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad

Old 03-22-2011, 12:00 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Apple's iPad 2 Smart Cover: Not So Smart After All?

<p><object width="600" height="360" data="http://www.youtube.com/v/GcOPhzG5sRM&amp;feature=player_embedded&amp;ap=%26fmt=18" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"><param name="src" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GcOPhzG5sRM&amp;feature=player_embedded&amp;ap=%26fmt=18" /></object></p><p>I'm curious to hear from anyone who has an iPad 2, and Apple's smart cover: are you seeing the same thing? If this is a wide-spread issue, Apple seems to have made a serious error in the manufacturing of this product.</p>

Old 03-22-2011, 02:22 AM
Bob12
Intellectual
Send a message via AIM to Bob12 Send a message via Yahoo to Bob12

It'll be interesting to see other responses. But the first thing that struck me about the video was how he closes it -- not sure I'd let it slap that hard against the face.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:28 AM
Macguy59
Mystic

I have the black leather smartcover for mine and I don't see that. Either on the cover or screen but then again I don't try to make mine double as a mouse trap

Last edited by Macguy59; 03-22-2011 at 02:31 AM..

Old 03-22-2011, 02:55 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob12 View Post
It'll be interesting to see other responses. But the first thing that struck me about the video was how he closes it -- not sure I'd let it slap that hard against the face.
I think he was closing it that hard because he was pissed off - I doubt he'd use the level of vigor in day to day use.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:31 PM
Vincent Ferrari
Executive Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Vincent Ferrari Send a message via Skype™ to Vincent Ferrari

Let's see...

His screen is filthy...

The back is scratched...

The cover is filthy...

And the inside of the cover is filthy...

He's right. Poor design on Apple's part. It has nothing to do with the fact that he's a slob.

And to be clear, I'm not defending the smart cover as brilliant, but with that much filth, maybe some self-examination is in order. My original iPad, which I've had since July (it was a replacement for the one I got when it first came out), does not have a scratch on the back of it at all. Nor does my 2, which I've had since last week (about 4 days after it came out).

It's not surprising to me, though, that a screen that coated in fingerprints would have oil residue on it, and it's not surprising that that oil residue would appear as dirt on the smart cover. Seems pretty obvious when you think about it.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:56 PM
ggore
Neophyte
Default Slob

It's not Apple's job to keep him from getting his bratwurst grease all over his new Smart Cover or his iPad 2. Good grief, from the looks of them he never washes his hands! I bought one probably the same day he did and mine still looks pristine, but I wash my hands fairly regularly, maybe that has something to do with it.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:57 PM
Vincent Ferrari
Executive Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Vincent Ferrari Send a message via Skype™ to Vincent Ferrari

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggore View Post
It's not Apple's job to keep him from getting his bratwurst grease all over his new Smart Cover or his iPad 2.
This made me laugh really hard.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:10 AM
Michael Knutson
Contributing Editor
Send a message via AIM to Michael Knutson Send a message via MSN to Michael Knutson Send a message via Yahoo to Michael Knutson Send a message via Skype™ to Michael Knutson

I bought the smart cover with the iPad 2, used it for a couple days, and then found one from Marware that is a real protective cover, the iPad slips inside, and the front and the back are covered. To me the new cover is all flash (ha! pun intended) and no substance, as it is more of a pain to use than an aid. I will be returning it (the leather $79 version).

Old 03-23-2011, 12:35 PM
Macguy59
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Knutson View Post
no substance, as it is more of a pain to use than an aid. I will be returning it (the leather $79 version).
Don't agree about no substance but it is limited in terms of protection. I do like being able to bypass the lock screen though

Old 03-24-2011, 03:24 PM
Lee Yuan Sheng
Contributing Editor

Oh wow. Someone needs to clean their bag. Or at least, empty it of dust. I'm sure the Smart Cover is going to be another overpriced accessory, but given the marks left behind, I don't think it's 100% due to the cover.