Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home News

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-22-2011, 12:00 AM
Hooch Tan
Contributing Editor
Send a message via ICQ to Hooch Tan Send a message via MSN to Hooch Tan Send a message via Yahoo to Hooch Tan
Default Seniors Can Compute Too!

http://the-gadgeteer.com/2011/03/18...senior-citizen/

"The Gadgeteer has discussed technology for senior citizens in the past, even posing the question “What’s the perfect computer for Grandma?”  Kiwi PC may have the answer.  This computer is a standard computer with a few tweaks to make it easier to use.  The Kiwi PC for Seniors is running a customized Linux Ubuntu 10.10 OS with a “Me Menu” system that simplifies the choices."

The Kiwi PC looks like a good idea, and helping seniors access computers and the Internet is an admirable task, but I wonder about the utility of this.  I imagine the computer uses a standard keyboard and mouse interface which I think is probably not the best interface.  With the introduction of good touch interfaces, a touch panel like an iPad, or a 10' Android tablet would seem a better fit.  The interface is more intuitive and itneracting with a tablet is leagues easier than trying to control a mouse.  Does anyone think there is a place for these kinds of computers anymore or have they been surpassed by newer technology?