Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 03-13-2011, 12:30 AM
Steven McPherson
Contributing Editor-in-Training
Send a message via MSN to Steven McPherson
Default Dell Venue Pro: A Phone You Can Type On

http://gizmodo.com/#!5780442/dell-venue-pro

"Surprisingly well balanced, once you stop concentrating on how gawky it looks and realize it feels pretty okay in your hands. Windows Phone 7 doesn't really do very much in landscape mode, so the portrait keyboard is handy, and the keys are juuuust big and raised enough that the keyboard's genuinely easy to type on"

File this on under "the keys are juuuuust big". Gizmodo has done a nice review on the Dell Venue Pro and if you've been looking for a Windows Phone 7 device that you can type on, this phone might be just the ticket for you. To me, this Dell device seems to be a hardware design that's held over from the Windows Mobile "era". I wasn't much of a fan of the slide out keyboard then and I'm not now, but after reading through this review the Dell Venue Pro might be one that fits into the don't knock it until you try category.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:15 PM
Don Tolson
Thoughts Media Review Team
Default Can't type on a LG Quantum?

I've seen this "...WP7 Phone you can [finally] type on..." a couple of times when referring to the Dell Venue.

What's the LG Quantum? chopped liver? I find the slideout keyboard very useable, even for my larger fingers...

Old 03-14-2011, 03:42 PM
EricMCarson
Ponderer
Default I actually own this phone

And you can actually type on it without any weirdness of screen orientation, which I have seen occur on the landscape sliders for WP7. I have handled nearly all of the WP7 hardware out there, and the DVP is the best blend of style, build quality and functionality available today. It is thinner and feels smaller than my previous Touch Pro 2, and the slider movement is definitely as tight or tighter than the landscape sliders I have held.

And to boot, the screen is gorgeous with color-accuracy that the Samsung OLEDs dream about. I have never been happier with a PDA/phone hardware purchase in my life. Now if we could just get some OS updates...

Old 03-15-2011, 02:11 AM
Don Tolson
Thoughts Media Review Team

Alas, as always, it appears that dell.ca knows nothing of the Venue Pro. And of course, it will probably never be sold by one of our carriers... sigh...