Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home News

Old 03-07-2011, 06:00 PM
Hooch Tan
Contributing Editor
Send a message via ICQ to Hooch Tan Send a message via MSN to Hooch Tan Send a message via Yahoo to Hooch Tan
Default A Viable Alternative To WiFi

http://gigaom.com/2011/03/04/is-201...ine-networking/

"But while Wi-Fi continues to be required on any connected entertainment device, that doesn’t mean the experience of Wi-Fi is always optimal. Anyone whose streamed Netflix over a significant range or a few walls knows the quality of the stream falls off pretty quickly, and sometimes will not work at all."

WiFi seems like the darling of the network industry.  It is fairly easy to use and requires minimal set up for most homes.  While handy, WiFi does not fit all situations.  In homes that are large, have many walls (especially concrete apartments!) or are densely populated, WiFi can be an experiment in patience and colourful phrases.  Running your own cable network is an option for some, but that option can also be expensive, messy, or problematic. 

Powerline options use the existing wiring in your home and seems like a good compromise, however I have found that it also has its own challenges.  While the theory is sound, and it can work great, it may not be a solution for all homes.  Situations like how your hosue is wired, the quality of the wiring, or what is connected can greatly affect the transfer speed you see. Then there is the cost compared to WiFi other traditional Ethernet solutions.  Powerline-type adapters are not cheap.

I have yet to personally see anyone successfuly use Powerline, but that is purely annecdotal evidence.  Has anyone used Powerline equipment?  What was your experience with it?  A saviour or frustration?

Old 03-07-2011, 07:10 PM
Kevin Jackson
Contributing Editor

I actually use a powerline device in my home. My router is on the second floor and I have a connected Blu Ray player and media center PC on the ground floor. I get a weak wi-fi signal in my living room, so I decided to try powerline networking to see how it would work. The results are mixed. It actually works quite well as far as speeds go, but due to vagaries in my home's wiring, I need to leave the light turned on in my office (where the router is) in order to get a signal. Very strange, but I am able to stream videos over Hulu/Netflix/Amazon without any problem.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:07 PM
John London
Contributing Editor-in-Training
Send a message via MSN to John London

I have used them for many years with success. My router is in the basement and I have an office on the 2nd floor of my house, plus a mediacenter TV in my bedroom. Powerline works well when they do not have a hardware failure (had to replace them a few times). Performance-wise they do just fine when streaming movies/videos, music or photos.
With wireless-N that seems to work well for the mediacenter TV as that is closer to the WAP, which is located on the first floor. Wireless-G did not work well for mediacenter TV so I went to the powerline solution, before Wireless-N came out. Now I have a few spare powerline adapters laying around. Will still use the powerline solution as wireless is not all be all to me.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:15 AM
Lee Yuan Sheng
Contributing Editor

My limited experience with powerline networks is that they can be as inefficient as wireless networks. I set up one for a friend and the throughput was barely 50 Mbps; a far cry from the 200 stated on the box. That said they don't drop throughput because of walls, so it's not all bad.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:46 AM
thinfoot
Neophyte

I use a powerline adaptor to supplement my Cat5e wiring. It does work reliably, more so than WiFi. I consistently get data rates (not bitrates) of 45Mbps when on the same phase and about 35Mbps when on the opposite phase. The 200Mbps marketing figure is the sum of the bandwidth for all powerline nodes on the network. It won�t work at all if there is any power conditioning (e.g. surge suppressors) between the power line transceivers. I have not tested with the newer AFI circuit breakers. If you have appliances that create a lot of current spikes or harmonics (like an air tool compressor), that will reduce performance significantly. The two main downsides are the costs and the power consumption (around 10W per transceiver). I use it now just for internet when I�m out on my deck. But I did use it full time with very good results for about 18 months when I was building out my wired Ethernet.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:35 AM
EscapePod
Intellectual

I replaced wireless for my wife's PC with a Netgear powerline set quite a few years ago. When the "theoretical" 200 Mbps models came out, I got her a set of those to replace the old ones. The performance for her PC is very good (and beats having to put another knee through my ceiling while trying to run CAT5 cable again).

Then one day, I got an Internet radio, and decided it would be perfect for the master bedroom (a long way from my router). The radio's wireless was very poor, and had more dropouts than playing time. I unsuccesfully tried to add a third powerline device to my existing pair... even tried several different transceivers and different models, still without luck. Finally, I got out the old, original netgear pair, and connected the radio with that pair. It works very well, although it still has an occasional dropout, especially on stations with higher sampling content. But, since that room is so far from the router, and I don't have a basement (and very low attic), its the best option for me.