Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 03-04-2011, 08:33 AM
Richard Chao
Contributing Editor
Default Re-released Update May Still Be Causing Problems On Samsung Devices

http://www.wpcentral.com/wp7-suppor...te-issues-again

"Seems us Samsung folk (I'm really beginning to regret leaving HTC) are still experiencing issues with the pre-NoDO update (take 2). Pulling the original release, this second attempt was meant to have fixed the teething issues, but alas there are still problems being reported."

If you have a Samsung WP7 phone like me, you may want to wait a day or two before attempting the update as there appears to be some chatter on twitter regarding errors resulting from the newly released update.  

The first release of the update was pulled due to problems when applied to Samsung phones.  Earlier today, Microsoft announced they had found and corrected the glitches and updates would resume soon after.  But, it appears that once again, some Samsung users are getting error codes during the update.  To make matters worse, some have claimed that attempts to restore the phone from backup fails during the restore process, leaving the user with no choice but to bring the phone back to its factory state.  

Hopefully these cases are isolated incidents.  However, as a precaution, I strongly suggest Samsung users hold off for now.    

Old 03-04-2011, 02:21 PM
Fritzly
Sage

I do not know what is the situation with Samsung devices but..... I was on the phone with T-Mobile and they confirmed that T Mobile has not approved the updaye yet so my HD7 will not receive any update until ..... it will be approved.
Very disappointed; this phone is going on Ebay today and I will buy another one not locked by any carrier.
Another mess...... Thanks MS and Co............

Old 03-04-2011, 06:23 PM
crimsonsky
Thinker

I don't know that anyone on U.S. carriers has received the update. My Focus on AT&T certainly hasn't. The only reason I'm keeping this phone is because I only paid a penny for it and I like WP7. AT&T seems to want to block updates, as my Aria never got updated either when I had it.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:46 AM
virain
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to virain

I don't get it! Why would carriers be so nasty to their customers and block updates, when they don't cost them a dime? All is done outside networks? They do push Android updates. Maybe they join ranks of MS haters and do everything they can to resist evel MS plans for "World Domination. Right Pinky?

Old 03-06-2011, 04:26 AM
Macguy59
Mystic

Wait . . . I thought MS was going to push out the updates without the need for carrier approval ? Did MS cave to pressure from them ?

Old 03-07-2011, 02:42 AM
crimsonsky
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macguy59 View Post
Wait . . . I thought MS was going to push out the updates without the need for carrier approval ? Did MS cave to pressure from them ?
Apparently, yes - although I don't know that anyone has definitive proof of it. What I don't get is why?

Old 03-07-2011, 02:19 PM
stlbud
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonsky View Post
Apparently, yes - although I don't know that anyone has definitive proof of it. What I don't get is why?
Read this -- The truth about Windows Phone 7, software updates, and carriers� ability to block those updates | Windows Phone Secrets

Paul Thurrott wrote the book "Windows Phone 7 Secrets". He knows the phone better than most people outside of Microsft and better than some inside.

Zune Tag - therealstlbud

Last edited by stlbud; 03-07-2011 at 02:24 PM..

Old 03-07-2011, 02:23 PM
stlbud
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzly View Post
Another mess...... Thanks MS and Co............
I don't know that MS is responsible here. It looks like Samsung didn't follow the rules when Microsoft specified the hardware base. None of the other manufacturers are having trouble like this. The update is apparently working fine for HTC, Dell, LG, etc.

Zune Tag - therealstlbud

Old 03-07-2011, 04:02 PM
virain
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to virain

I wander, why is it Apple dedicated users are the first ones to complain about Microsoft problems?

Old 03-07-2011, 09:59 PM
stlbud
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by virain View Post
I wander, why is it Apple dedicated users are the first ones to complain about Microsoft problems?
That is a curiosity, isn't it.

Zune Tag - therealstlbud