Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Developer

Old 03-02-2011, 06:00 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Windows Embedded Compact 7 (Formerly Windows CE)

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsemb...-compact-7.aspx

"Windows Embedded Compact is the evolution of Windows Embedded CE. Compact is a componentized, real-time operating system used to create a wide range of small footprint enterprise and consumer devices. Windows Embedded Compact 7 uses the familiar tools OEMs already know to help create the next generation of devices with attractive, intuitive user experiences. Compact continues the history of embedded innovation started with the first release of CE, providing new technology to OEMs for building devices that stand apart from the competition."

Windows CE, the embedded OS that keeps on trucking, is now Windows Embedded Compact 7. It includes full Silverlight 3.0 support, the same version of Internet Explorer that's found in Windows Phone 7, and - amazingly - Flash 10.1 support. Flash is supported by Windows Embedded Compact 7 but not Windows Phone 7? That strikes me as somewhat odd. It runs on ARM processors, and can be installed in as little as 500 KB. Will we see this OS on any sort of consumer device? I doubt it. In past years we've seen a few tablets running Windows CE, but with all the momentum that Android has, I think the days of an embedded Windows OS on a consumer tablet are over. I'd guess we'll see this new OS in enterprise/vertical markets - industrial machinery, etc.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:53 AM
BBF
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
Windows CE, the embedded OS that keeps on trucking, is now Windows Embedded Compact 7. It includes full Silverlight 3.0 support, the same version of Internet Explorer that's found in Windows Phone 7, and - amazingly - Flash 10.1 support. Flash is supported by Windows Embedded Compact 7 but not Windows Phone 7? That strikes me as somewhat odd. It runs on ARM processors, and can be installed in as little as 500 KB. Will we see this OS on any sort of consumer device? I doubt it. In past years we've seen a few tablets running Windows CE, but with all the momentum that Android has, I think the days of an embedded Windows OS on a consumer tablet are over. I'd guess we'll see this new OS in enterprise/vertical markets - industrial machinery, etc.
I'm not so sure. It only makes sense that once Windows Phone 7 matures and stabilizes, there will be a tablet version of WP7. Since WP7 is basically Windows Embedded Compact 7 with extra bits, WINCE will make its way onto tablets. Maybe MS may wise up and allow memory slots on tablets running WP7 so they can compete with Android tablets?

But having said that, IMHO until MS provides a plug and play tablet focused version of WP7 or WEC7 (that includes the marketplace and a core set of apps like google) hardware manufacturers aren't going to go to the trouble to build on top of WEC7 themselves to make it a viable tablet platform, especially when Honeycomb Android is available for "free".

However, do I think that it will ever eclipse Android in numbers even *if* MS supplies a tablet version of their ARM based OSes... definitely not. MS has already missed the boat and is just madly trying to catch up in a dingy.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:04 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBF View Post
I'm not so sure. It only makes sense that once Windows Phone 7 matures and stabilizes, there will be a tablet version of WP7.
You'd think so, but no, Microsoft has stated very plainly that Windows 7 is their "tablet OS". I suspect Windows 8 will be no different. I firmly believe it's the wrong approach, but they seem quite certain about it.