Laptop Thoughts - News & Reviews on Laptops, Netbooks, Slates, and More

Be sure to register in our forums! Share your opinions, help others, and enter our contests.

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > LAPTOP THOUGHTS > Laptop Thoughts News

Old 02-25-2011, 08:30 AM
Michael Knutson
Contributing Editor
Send a message via AIM to Michael Knutson Send a message via MSN to Michael Knutson Send a message via Yahoo to Michael Knutson Send a message via Skype™ to Michael Knutson
Default Free Splashtop OS Now Available For Most PCs

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/0...le-for-all-pcs/

"Look out, Chrome OS. Previously restricted to a handful of notebooks and netbooks, the instant-on companion OS called Splashtop is now open for all Windows-based PCs for free. On top of that, this web browser-based system now has access to the Chrome Web Store, making it firmly competitive with Chrome OS while remaining a companion to Windows."

Version 1.0 is now available, and should run on most PCs as a quick-boot ("companion OS") alternative to Windows. If you need something quickly from a portion of the cloud, SplashTop claims to be up and running in about five seconds. Installed next to Windows, it is a simple boot selection, and installation is said to be simple. This sounds interesting, especially since it's free.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:00 AM
Chris Hordley
Thoughts Media Review Team
Send a message via Yahoo to Chris Hordley
Default Chrome on in there ??

This sounds interesting and I am going to try it, just as soon as I can find our Readyboost usb stick for my poor little Dell Inspiron. I am running Chrome browser to go into my Gmail/calendar rather than starting up Firefox but if I can check Google/android stuff without using 7 it will be great. I have been waiting for this, or have I ?

Old 02-25-2011, 05:37 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Darn. Looked like it might have been interesting as a dual boot option for my HP Slate, but it isn't touch or pen aware, so no way to launch into it. Maybe that will change.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:08 PM
crimsonsky
Thinker

Wireless doesn't work with my Dell Inspiron Mini 1018. Bummer. (For that matter doesn't work out of the box with Ubuntu either, although I found a driver for it. JoliCloud, on the other hand, works right out of the box with the Dell's wireless card).

Old 02-25-2011, 08:30 PM
Chris Hordley
Thoughts Media Review Team
Send a message via Yahoo to Chris Hordley

Does not find wifi connection on my Dell Inspiron 1300 and would not start on my PC upstairs. First time round it really upset 7 on the PC which would not load either. A pity, looked interesting but have uninstalled from both computers. I will look at it again later, if it lasts.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:30 AM
Michael Knutson
Contributing Editor
Send a message via AIM to Michael Knutson Send a message via MSN to Michael Knutson Send a message via Yahoo to Michael Knutson Send a message via Skype™ to Michael Knutson

Odd. I installed it, and did say yes when it asked to import my Windows wifi configuration, and it works well on a fairly old Dell Latitude D430 with Windows XPP. Booting not as fast as I'd hoped, the five seconds is a bit optimistic, more like 15-20, but still okay for simple browsing tasks.