Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 02-22-2011, 10:30 PM
Richard Chao
Contributing Editor
Default WP7 Update Limbo: Is Your Carrier Blocking the Update?

http://social.answers.microsoft.com...96-a8a3f2c4430d

"Some Mobile Operators have the right to skip one update if they wish. However, they can't skip the next one, which would be an acumulative update and would include the previous one. So if your mobile operator decided to block this one, you will be getting the early March one (which will include the Feb one too)."  - Diego T. (Microsoft WP7 Support)

Still haven't gotten the notification for your first WP7 update?  There is a possibility your carrier may have exercised their right to block this update.  That's right, carriers have the right to block updates for one cycle.  This means if they did in fact block this first update, they will have to give you the next one.  This also means if they give you this one, they can hold NoDo until the update after that.  Updates are cumulative so when the next one comes it will include any previous updates.  So the upside is you will get an update.  The downside is your carrier definitely has a say in the schedule.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:50 PM
efjay
Theorist

Probably doing this so they can then block the big Fall update till the next one hits in 2012 by which time newer devices would have appeared and then they will "encourage" people to upgrade as those ones will have the latest update.

I wouldnt mind but in the US there is no unlocked device available to buy so you are stuck with whatever T-mo or at&t decide (and i suspect they are both blocking this first update) - at least until Nokia enters the game with their Penta-band devices, then I will say goodbye to the greedy US carriers and their useless lock in mentality.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:28 PM
MadSci
Ponderer
Default Why Wait?

Why wait for AT&T? Currently running NRG WM6.5 on my Telstra HD2 and other than waste my time on XBox Live, I can do everything an HD7 can, + all the stuff in this update + all the stuff in the next update + the stuff in...

MadSci

Quote:
Originally Posted by efjay View Post
Probably doing this so they can then block the big Fall update till the next one hits in 2012 by which time newer devices would have appeared and then they will "encourage" people to upgrade as those ones will have the latest update.

I wouldnt mind but in the US there is no unlocked device available to buy so you are stuck with whatever T-mo or at&t decide (and i suspect they are both blocking this first update) - at least until Nokia enters the game with their Penta-band devices, then I will say goodbye to the greedy US carriers and their useless lock in mentality.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:37 PM
Fritzly
Sage

Here we are: WM 6.XXX saga all over again........

efjay: you could buy a device not locked to a carrier in the US too through Expansys; the problem is that it seems that no WP7 device is really "SIM free" but just "unlocked".

Take a look at MS NGs about the issues people who spent �400/500 are having to use MMS.
I hope that MS and OEM will start to release true "SIM free" devices soon, if not they will be in trouble....

Old 02-23-2011, 12:28 AM
efjay
Theorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzly View Post
Here we are: WM 6.XXX saga all over again........

efjay: you could buy a device not locked to a carrier in the US too through Expansys; the problem is that it seems that no WP7 device is really "SIM free" but just "unlocked".

Take a look at MS NGs about the issues people who spent �400/500 are having to use MMS.
I hope that MS and OEM will start to release true "SIM free" devices soon, if not they will be in trouble....
I dont think those are true carrier independent devices, at least I'm not sure enough that it justifies the extra cost. If a device that was not offered by the US carriers was available then it would be sure to be completely free of any carrier influence. As I am on T-Mobile however, the odds of an unlocked AWS device are slim, which is why I am eagerly waiting for the first Nokia to be released. Either purchased direct from Nokia or imported that will be sure to be a completely unlocked device. For the next few months I'll suffer under the carriers and when Nokia hits the scene I'll switch from my current phone.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:49 AM
Don Tolson
Thoughts Media Review Team

Hmmmmm, maybe I misunderstand the update process. I thought that this version was an update to the update program and that we were waiting for this to show up through the Zune interface on the PC. How could a carrier block that? I can understand them blocking huge updates from occuring OTA, but if it's coming through the Zune interface on the interweb, what's that got to do with the carrier?

Old 02-23-2011, 01:05 AM
Fritzly
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Tolson View Post
Hmmmmm, maybe I misunderstand the update process. I thought that this version was an update to the update program and that we were waiting for this to show up through the Zune interface on the PC. How could a carrier block that? I can understand them blocking huge updates from occuring OTA, but if it's coming through the Zune interface on the interweb, what's that got to do with the carrier?
Well it seems that contrary to what was initially announced by MS both OEM and carriers can decide to block an update. It also appears that, at least the carriers, will only be able to block one upgrade and not the next one but considering what seems to be MS pace in pushing updates out I am beginning to be quite unhappy about the entire story.

And yes I do not understand too how is it possible that an upgrade that only "prepare" the device to receive future updates can be blocked; I mean what is the point to do this?

Old 02-23-2011, 01:39 AM
Nelson Ocampo
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Tolson View Post
It's a contractual agreement that allows carriers to block up to one update cycle. They are not forcibly blocking the update process through some technological means.

But I don't think that the carriers are blocking this mini-update. My guess is that this update is a test run for the real update. And they are rolling this out slowly so that they could spot and fix issues that may come up.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:20 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Ocampo View Post
But I don't think that the carriers are blocking this mini-update. My guess is that this update is a test run for the real update. And they are rolling this out slowly so that they could spot and fix issues that may come up.
Exactly. Any speculation that this update is being blocked by carriers is just that - speculation. We'll have to wait another day or two to see.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:50 AM
virain
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to virain

I don't understand what carriers have to do with the update as it is done with the Zune not OTA. I don't remember AT&T or T-Mo blocking, or refusing update for Android, although they try to stuff the update with as much of their crapware as humanly possible, and when is that AT&T refused iPhone update? My believe is that it is just a test run for MS. once they fix the problem with bricking devices, it will be rolled out in full force.