Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 02-14-2011, 11:45 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Windows Phone Head Honcho Andy Lees on "Accelerating the Windows Phone Ecosystem"

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_...-ecosystem.aspx

"This year has been one of significant change for the mobile industry. We are moving from a battle of devices to one of ecosystems. What is required to build and maintain a vibrant ecosystem is broad - defined by the relationship between hardware, software, services and applications working together to bring innovative new experiences to a world of devices. This shift has been accelerating, and we have been moving fast. It was only a year ago that we unveiled Windows Phone 7 to the world for the first time."

Andy Lees is "the man" when it comes to Windows Phone at Microsoft, and on the one year anniversary of Windows Phone 7 first being previewed to the public at MWC 2010, Microsoft has certainly come a long way. There's a long way yet to go still, and a big part of that is adding improvements to the sometimes-very-1.0 feeling operating system. The list is below:

"First Major Update: A free customer update will be made available for all Windows Phones in the first two weeks of March, which includes new capabilities such as copy & paste and faster application performance.

Availability on CDMA Networks: With added support for CDMA networks, Windows Phone will be available to even more customers on mobile operators such as Verizon and Sprint in the first half of 2011.

Twitter Integration in the People Hub: The popular social networking service Twitter will be integrated into the People Hub in the second half of 2011.

Office Document Storage in the Cloud: Document sharing and storage in the cloud via Windows Live SkyDrive will be added to Windows Phone in the second half of 2011.

Next Generation Browsing with Internet Explorer 9: A dramatically enhanced Internet Explorer 9 web browser will be added to Windows Phone in the second half of 2011. It will feature the same standards support (HTML5, etc.) and hardware accelerated graphics as the PC version.

Additional Multi-tasking Capabilities: We will add the ability to switch quickly between applications, run applications in the background (such as listening to music), along with a number of other capabilities in the second half of 2011. Developers will learn much more about this during April's MIX conference."

Sounds good to me. I'd have liked to have seen the first update come in January, but with it being mid-February I can't get too upset about waiting another month. The bigger, second-half of 2011 update, had better not slip though - and it had better not come out in December!

Old 02-15-2011, 08:42 AM
virain
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to virain

I wander, when does MS plans to ad front facing camera, this feature is essential to me!

Old 02-15-2011, 05:52 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by virain View Post
I wander, when does MS plans to ad front facing camera, this feature is essential to me!
If I were to guess, I'd say not any time soon: that would essentially be a new chassis spec for manufacturers to build to. As in, when Microsoft says "You need to add a front-facing camera", every OEM will have to do it in order to be a Windows Phone 7 licensee. They probably won't make a move like that until 2012 when we see Windows Phone 8 (that's pure speculation on my part).

Old 02-16-2011, 04:37 AM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Ya know, with the exception of IE9, which is still RC for the desktop, nothing there we shouldn't already have. I have to agree, it better not be December. Especially with Joe Belfiore demonstrating what looks like pretty baked capabilities already.