Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 02-11-2011, 03:50 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Will Nokia Announce a Windows Phone 7 Partnership Tomorrow?

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011...windows-phone/#

"Microsoft and Nokia are close to cementing a partnership to produce mobile phones together, according to multiple reports. It's like that celebrity couple you never expected to hook up, but who somehow did. Even a former Nokia employee was betting against the prospect of the phone maker working with Microsoft, which would involve shipping Nokia hardware with Microsoft's new Windows Phone 7 operating system."

Will Nokia drop a bomb on the mobile world tomorrow and announce that they'll be partnering with Microsoft on a Windows Phone 7 device? My Magic 8 Ball says "It's looking good." Nokia is in a tough spot, having made little to no ground with home-grown MeeGo, and in a year lost over 10% world-wide market share. Nokia makes excellent hardware, but I've personally found their software to be utterly lacking, and their attempts at building an ecosystem have been mixed at best.

I could see Nokia pulling a Palm - build a Windows Phone 7 line for a generation or two, then when their own software is ready, they ditch Microsoft. Of course, we saw how that worked out for Palm...yet Nokia is bigger and has a lot more money. We'll see what happens tomorrow - but I for one would welcome the excellent hardware designs of Nokia into the Windows Phone family.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:52 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
Will Nokia drop a bomb on the mobile world tomorrow and announce that they'll be partnering with Microsoft on a Windows Phone 7 device? My <a href="http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~ssanty/cgi-bin/eightball.cgi" target="_blank">Magic 8 Ball</a> says "It's looking good."
Perhaps they saw this 2008 post, and thought, "hey, why not?"

Old 02-11-2011, 09:33 AM
Stinger
Thinker

Answer: Yes.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:16 AM
virain
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to virain

There goes favorite April Fool's Day joke as I remember. Every year, "Nokia is releasing WM Phone" well, looks it's true what folks are saying - In every joke is only a small part is a joke, most of it is true"

Old 02-11-2011, 01:12 PM
Fritzly
Sage

Yes they did and Nokia shares got a dive....

Old 02-11-2011, 01:23 PM
Menneisyys
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

It's indeed great news. Nokia has always had absolutely the best hardware out there, unlike current Windows Mobile hardware manufacturers with their (compared to, say, the Nokia N8) mediocre cameras, battery life etc. Now I won't be keeping two phones (a Nokia N8 for camera and plain phoning capabilities and a WinMo one).

I only hope they also keep the unique capabilities of Symbian making it, in some respects, far better than any other smartphone OS (BB, WP7, Android, iOS) - the ability to record both parties of calls.