Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Articles & Resources

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-09-2011, 02:00 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Regular Maintenance On Your PC is Key

http://www.computerworld.com/s/arti...l_maintained_PC

"Most people -- even IT pros who spend their lives maintaining corporate computing infrastructure -- are so busy with life, families, work and the rest that they tend to leave periodic home PC maintenance tasks at the bottom of a long list of things that never get done. With that in mind, we've put together this concise guide to some of the most important and oft-delayed or forgotten maintenance tasks that Windows PC users can perform regularly to keep their computers -- and data -- healthy through the year."

This article covers some of the things that - ideally - we're all doing to keep our PCs in tip-top shape. Off-site data backup, driver updates, system backups, and even registry cleaners - all have their place. Registry cleaners are certainly a somewhat dubious suggestion - I've never seen any data that objectively proves that any of those products can enhance PC performance. When I use CCleaner, I allow it to scan the system registry to get rid of the cruft, but I harbour no illusions that it will somehow make my PC faster.

What are some of your regularly-scheduled maintenance tasks that you do (or should be doing) that aren't on this list?