Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 02-04-2011, 06:30 PM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor
Default Yahoo! Mail Data Monster Eating More Than WP7

http://downloadsquad.switched.com/2...-windows-phone/

"Yahoo! Mail's not having the best of times at the moment. It seems as though the IMAP data leak isn't limited to Windows Phone 7; Apple's iPhone is also seeing data racking up to 25 times more than it should."

Despite Yahoo's blaming the Yahoo! Mail data leak problems in WP7 on Microsoft's IMAP implementation, it appears that the same problem is affecting Apple's iPhones as well. So I guess it's Apple's fault too, huh? At the moment it seems that Android and Blackberry aren't seeing the extended email headers that iPhones and Window Phone 7s are receiving from Yahoo! Mail's servers, which means the data leak problem is "only" confined to these models so far. But just to be on the safe side, if you're using Yahoo! Mail take the time to switch to manual email sync - your wallet might thank you for it later.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:19 PM
Fritzly
Sage

Well, something seems weird here: if it happens only with iPhone and WP7 devices and not with Android ones would not it means that the former use some settings that triggers this hyperactivity?

If it happened to every device it could clearly labeled as a Yahoo issue but if this report is correct it is likely to be the opposite.

Last edited by Fritzly; 02-04-2011 at 10:08 PM..

Old 02-04-2011, 07:38 PM
hummingbirdhill
Ponderer
Default Fyi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzly View Post
Well, something seems weird here: if it happens only with iPhone and WP7 devices and not with Android ones would not it means that the former use some settings that triggers this hyperactivity?

If it happened to every device it could clearly lalbeled as a Yahoo issue but if this report is correct it is likely to be the opposite.
I was testing a Samsung Fascinate (android) from Verizon in December when this occurred. It also occurred on my HTC Fuze (WinMob 6.5) from AT&T in December. My email is from AT&T which currently rests on yahoo servers.

Old 02-05-2011, 02:24 AM
BBF
Pupil

I'm not surprised it was Yahoo! Mail.

For some odd reason, on my WM6.5 phone, my yahoo mail IMAP fetcher started fetching my ENTIRE inbox (which has hundreds of emails since I'm a lazy bastard) when it was set to only display the last 30 days.

For that month, my usage spiked to almost 1GB!!