Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 02-04-2011, 01:40 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Are You Having Battery Trouble With Your Windows Phone 7?

Over the past month or two, I've seen scattered reports of people having trouble with their Windows Phone 7 devices related to the battery charging. I haven't had any problems yet, but I don't think this is an isolated incident. Symptoms include:

• Connecting your phone via USB to your computer and having the battery drain rather than charge
  • Connecting your phone via USB to a wall charger and having the battery not charge at all even after hours of being connected
  • The battery is showing a low power indicator, but if you power off the phone, take out the battery, put it back in, and power up the phone, it will actually be fully charged

Seen anything like this yourself? Vote in the poll and post a comment with details.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:49 AM
Omegajb
Pupil

I had this problem a few weeks ago and I thought I was going crazy, I would put it on the charger and it would show as though it was charging but in the morning the battery was dead. Or so I thought, I didn't try the battery pull then all of a sudden it stopped doing it.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:35 AM
petevick
Pupil

Certainly see problem 1 on a daily basis. Leave my phone connected to the laptop overnight. Laptop backs up at 11pm and then powers off. Depending lon length of backup, phone is almost drained the following morning. Suspect it is charging my laptop, instead of the laptop charging my phone

Old 02-04-2011, 03:09 PM
Fritzly
Sage

I am not experiencin any of the listed issues; what I am seeing is that battery life of my HD7 is considerably shorter than the one of my HD2. Also, although unrelated to the topic, I noted that the internet connection speed is slower too.
Cannot wait to see what W8 will bring on the table.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:37 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

The third option has a YET on the end? So you are assuming we will see this issue. if we haven't yet?

Old 02-05-2011, 06:11 AM
Fritzly
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
The third option has a YET on the end? So you are assuming we will see this issue. if we haven't yet?
That what it seems indeed. Not for me though: if the, hopefully coming sooner than later, update will not improve battery life I will have to chage phone. My HD7 with only pushing email through our Exchange server and a moderate use of the phone last from 06:00 AM till 04:00 PM at best, usually around 03:00 PM. It reminds me the good old days of the Motorola MicroTac 9800X...... but that was 1990.......

Old 02-05-2011, 07:02 AM
Lee Yuan Sheng
Contributing Editor

Don't blame MS for that, blame HTC for continuing to stick a 1230mAh battery with their largest screen device.

Old 02-05-2011, 03:37 PM
Fritzly
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Yuan Sheng View Post
Don't blame MS for that, blame HTC for continuing to stick a 1230mAh battery with their largest screen device.
I blame both: with my old, and missed, HD2 and WM 6.5.3 battery last longer. Do not get me wrong: I do not expect a charge to last more than one day of normal, average, use and the HD2 allowed me to do that; granted at midnight, 1AM battery was very low but still alive and the device was usable.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:49 PM
tiwahu
Neophyte

I learned on day one to only rely on the USB charger that came with the phone. Not all USB wall wart chargers are created equal.

By the way, there are plenty of ways to extend the default battery life: turn off the default settings you don't need. For example, I turn off nearly all sounds (e.g., key press, lock/unlock). Lowering screen brightness usually helps, too.