Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 02-02-2011, 02:00 AM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor
Default Excess Data Usage: The Denouement

http://windowsphonesecrets.com/2011...a-leak-culprit/

And the culprit is Yahoo Mail - their server is apparently sending 25 times more data than it should, thus hammering your bandwidth and battery life. Microsoft is recommending at the moment to switch from scheduled to manual updates (hit the Read link for a how-to) while they and Yahoo work on a fix, which should be rolled out soon. Has anybody with a Yahoo mail account seen this?

Old 02-02-2011, 02:11 PM
stlbud
Intellectual

It's irresponsible that neither Microsoft nor Yahoo! released this information in a timely manner. I don't understand why they waited until they were "exposed" by a third party.

After all the denials by AT&T and Microsoft, I'd also be curious to find out what happened to all the people who have had losses associated with this. Will they get refunds?

Zune Tag - therealstlbud

Old 02-02-2011, 05:23 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlbud View Post
It's irresponsible that neither Microsoft nor Yahoo! released this information in a timely manner. I don't understand why they waited until they were "exposed" by a third party.
Agreed. I do not like the way this was handled at all.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:30 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

And now Yahoo is saying, hey, it's a MS thing. Our mail has no problems on other mobile platforms. OK, so it's a protocol disagreement. Aren't standards great? There are enough of them that everyone can have one of their own.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:34 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
And now Yahoo is saying, hey, it's a MS thing. Our mail has no problems on other mobile platforms. OK, so it's a protocol disagreement.
What I don't get is why this wasn't picked up in beta testing.

Oh, wait, I know - Microsoft must have some basically all their beta-testing in-house and everyone's using an Exchange server and not Yahoo.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:54 PM
Fritzly
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post

Oh, wait, I know - Microsoft must have some basically all their beta-testing in-house and everyone's using an Exchange server and not Yahoo.

Unfortunately I am afraid you are right; MS Beta testing has gone down the toilet in the last few years.
I have been beta testing with MS since Windows 95 all the way to W7 plus Office, Server OSes and many other programs; I tested also hardware and it was also excellent.

After the shuffle that followed Vista the new "enlightened" top executives shifted all the emphasys on restricted groups of users and partners and that killed the "Joe Smith" feedback that was, IMO, vital.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:33 PM
hummingbirdhill
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post

The excessive data delivery has occurred on my cell phones with two carriers: AT&T and Verizon.

I use AT&T email which, since last June, is on Yahoo servers.

In December I addressed the issue with Verizon whose rep denied any knowledge of the matter and in January with AT&T whose rep promised that I'd not be charged more than my regular data amount.