Android Thoughts - Opinions, News, Advice & Reviews on Android Devices

Be sure to register in our forums! Share your opinions, help others, and enter our contests.

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ANDROID THOUGHTS > Android Talk

Old 01-27-2011, 12:30 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default Wanted: A Smart Standardized Dock

http://gdgt.com/discuss/smartphones...tm_medium=email

"There is, of course, one big problem with that vision: it only works if every phone is compatible with every dock. There's no point in carrying around just your phone if the likelihood that the place you're headed is going to have a compatible dock is small. So I'd like to propose that somebody (yes, it should probably be Google) put together a standard webtop OS and dock connector so that we can use any phone with any dock."

For a long time I've wanted to see smartphones have the ability to dock and become "full" computers. It makes sense - why carry a laptop, a tablet, and a smartphone: Carry 1 with a small external screen it can connect to, and have docks at your desks, and you're all set. Seems easy, however my fear is that as OEMs start to say "Yea, sounds good" they do exactly what the writer above fears: proprietary docks. Come on all, standardize and make a great product that actually changes how I work, instead of complicating it!

Old 01-27-2011, 02:11 PM
Lee Yuan Sheng
Contributing Editor

I remember the Foleo. Do you?

Old 01-28-2011, 08:37 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Yuan Sheng View Post
I remember the Foleo. Do you?
Yes.

Consider this. I can buy a laptop dock that offers USB ports, ethernet, sound and even video, that hooks up to my laptop via a USB port. (e.g. | ACP51USZ | by Targus) So why can't this be done with Smartphones? It involves the drivers, but beyond that we are talking about the same USB standard found on laptops...except that smartphones are client ports not host ports, today. Back in the day there was a PPC or two that had host hardware that folks hacked drivers for and hook keyboards to. Doesn't sound that tough to me. Just how much extra would you pay fo the option?

Old 01-29-2011, 05:41 PM
Chris Hordley
Thoughts Media Review Team
Send a message via Yahoo to Chris Hordley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
Yes.

Consider this. I can buy a laptop dock that offers USB ports, ethernet, sound and even video, that hooks up to my laptop via a USB port. (e.g. | ACP51USZ | by Targus) So why can't this be done with Smartphones? ...Doesn't sound that tough to me. Just how much extra would you pay for the option?
Less than for a new netbook or tablet. I have been thinking this for a while. Some things synch or nearly do and others don't and I use my phone a lot. I just want it to have a bigger screen sometimes.