Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 01-25-2011, 11:30 AM
Brad Wasson
Contributing Editor
Default Just How Many WP7 Phones Has Microsoft Sold?

http://www.electronista.com/article...d.500000.units/

"Based on the number of active users of the official Windows Phone 7 Facebook app, The Next Web has estimated that Microsoft has notched up two million sales of Windows Phone 7 phones. When Microsoft announced that its hardware partners had shipped 1.5 million Windows Phone 7 phones, there were around 209,000 active users of the Facebook app. Using this method, it seems that Microsoft has reached the 2 million milestone over the holiday period, shifting another 500,000 units."

Here is a tricky question: just how many Windows Phone 7 handsets have been sold? While Microsoft has not released that sales figure explicitly, electronista is reporting that The Next Web has calculated the figure for us. You'll have to hit the Read link to see their proprietary formula, but it's a certainly one way of estimating. If they are right, the good news for Microsoft is that progress is being made, albeit somewhat slowly as compared to their competitors.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:33 PM
Fritzly
Sage

Mah....
I wonder how they obtained that ratio of FB app versus total number of units sold. The article does not give any details about it.

What let me skeptical about the supposed number of units sold is that if WP7 had reached the 2,000,000 mark MS would have released sales number; overall it would not be a bad result.

The deafening silence on this subject is only going to increase the amount of negative speculations.

It is also true that some people could be waiting to see what the next generation of WP7 devices will bring on the table.... To be honest all the actual WP7 devices are "2010 devices".

For the MS zealots: when I say "2010 devices" I am referring to hardware specs.........

Old 01-25-2011, 09:20 PM
TKETZ196
Pupil

I think they are trying to account for people who do not have their smartphones tied to Facebook. Not everyone uses facebook believe it or not, and I think its their way of figuring those people into the equation. I am a facebook user, but I can live without it on my phone. I am not that tied to the web that I have to get constant updates, etc.

I have no clue how they arrived to that number, but it would make sense if you figure those without the facebook.