Laptop Thoughts - News & Reviews on Laptops, Netbooks, Slates, and More

Be sure to register in our forums! Share your opinions, help others, and enter our contests.


Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...




Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > LAPTOP THOUGHTS > Laptop Thoughts Accessories

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-18-2011, 10:00 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Jason Dunn's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 29,160
Default FastMac U-Socket: Simple Yet Brilliant

<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/17/fastmac-u-socket-now-shipping-out-to-the-world-making-it-a-bett/' target='_blank'>http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/17/...king-it-a-bett/</a><br /><br /></div><p><img src="http://images.thoughtsmedia.com/resizer/thumbs/size/600/dht/auto/1295325831.usr1.jpg" style="border: 0;" /></p><p>The above picture pretty much says it all, doesn't it? It's so simple, so obvious, yet so brilliant. <a href="http://store.fastmac.com/product_info.php?products_id=458" target="_blank">$19.95 per plate</a> is a bit expensive if you deploy them all over your house, but I bet the average home could make make great use of a handful of these placed in smart areas for charging smartphones, tablets, MP3 players, etc. Each USB port kicks out a potent 2100 mAH, which should be plenty to charge any device that can accept USB power. I think I might order a couple - I'm not much of an electrician, but I suspect they'd be pretty easy to install. Just make sure you turn off the breaker for that zone of your house first!</p>
__________________
Want to contact me personally? Use this. Want to read my personal blog? Check it out. Want to follow me on Twitter? Here you go.
 
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-18-2011, 03:41 PM
OKCrew
Pupil
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 28

When it is on Amazon, I'll buy it. It will replace the outlet behind my "charging station" that sits on the kitchen counter. The charging station is where the cell phones, iPods, media players and GPS devices reside when not in use. It hides the clutter of the chargers inside but is cramped for space. Many of the devices use USB charging and this will be great for those.
 
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-18-2011, 04:01 PM
Fritzly
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/17/fastmac-u-socket-now-shipping-out-to-the-world-making-it-a-bett/' target='_blank'>http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/17/...king-it-a-bett/</a><br /><br /></div><p><img src="http://images.thoughtsmedia.com/resizer/thumbs/size/600/dht/auto/1295325831.usr1.jpg" style="border: 0;" /></p><p>The above picture pretty much says it all, doesn't it? It's so simple, so obvious, yet so brilliant. <a href="http://store.fastmac.com/product_info.php?products_id=458" target="_blank">$19.95 per plate</a> is a bit expensive if you deploy them all over your house, but I bet the average home could make make great use of a handful of these placed in smart areas for charging smartphones, tablets, MP3 players, etc. Each USB port kicks out a potent 2100 mAH, which should be plenty to charge any device that can accept USB power. I think I might order a couple - I'm not much of an electrician, but I suspect they'd be pretty easy to install. Just make sure you turn off the breaker for that zone of your house first!</p>
Well it surely is not cheap but we need to keep in mind that it is not just a simple plug-in; there must be some kind of transformer in the back.
 
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-18-2011, 04:50 PM
NeilE
Ponderer
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 100

Too bad it's so ugly They could have done a much better job of positioning the USB ports. They have a decora style version (http://store.fastmac.com/product_inf...roducts_id=505).

Looks like neither is tamper resistent, however, so they don't meet current electrical code in the US.

Neil
__________________
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers
http://www.danecreekfolios.com/
 
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-24-2011, 06:22 AM
runbuh
Ponderer
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilE View Post
Looks like neither is tamper resistent, however, so they don't meet current electrical code in the US.
Could you elaborate on what you mean by tamper resistant?
 
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-20-2011, 04:09 AM
Craig Horlacher
Contributing Editor
Craig Horlacher's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 524

This is great! It would be better with 2 or 6 more USB ports but I can live with 2 I'd love one of these on my kitchen island!
 
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-20-2011, 04:58 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Jason Dunn's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 29,160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Horlacher View Post
This is great! It would be better with 2 or 6 more USB ports but I can live with 2 I'd love one of these on my kitchen island!
Well, since it kicks out so much power, you could always attach a hub. Hahaha.
__________________
Want to contact me personally? Use this. Want to read my personal blog? Check it out. Want to follow me on Twitter? Here you go.
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:21 PM.