Laptop Thoughts - News & Reviews on Laptops, Netbooks, Slates, and More

Be sure to register in our forums! Share your opinions, help others, and enter our contests.

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > LAPTOP THOUGHTS > Laptop Thoughts Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-29-2010, 01:00 PM
Chris Gohlke
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default What Makes the Perfect Laptop Keyboard?

http://notebooks.com/2010/12/27/10-...aptop-keybaord/

"As 2010 comes to a close we mark almost 35 years since the first commercially available laptop, or more aptly titled Portable Computer ( IBM5100 ), was first released laptops and notebooks have evolved to many form factors and sizes, but even 35 years of innovation hasn’t delivered to us a perfect laptop keyboard. Sure there are some good ones, like the MacBook Pro and MacBook Air, and even some great ones like you’ll find on the Lenovo Edge or ThinkPad models, but all of them have some room for improvement."

I don't care so much about many of th rules laid out in the article, but the one illustrated by the above picture really irks me.  Asus does something similar on the Eee's with the right shift key and it always causes me to end up hitting the up arrow rather than the shift key when typing, very annoying.  You can have a certain degree of liberty with the keyboard, but I consider shift a main key that should be mapped the same on every keyboard, otherwise you just mess up everyones typing.