Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 12-21-2010, 07:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Windows Phone 7 Ads Continue to Evolve

We've seen enough of the "Really?" ads to know what that part of the campaign is trying to communicate, so the question is what's next? The above ad is going in the right direction - direct, to the point information about what the phone can do.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:05 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Seems like they are all AT&T ads. T-Mobile still seems to be having fun bashing the iPhone with that cute MyTouch girl. Wonder if Verizon and Sprint will expend any energy on campaigns when they are brought into the fold. If Verizon gets the iPhone, wonder what they'll do with that too. Will they split their time between Droid, iPhone and WindowsPhone?

Old 12-21-2010, 08:58 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Finally, finally, Microsoft is making good, entertaining ads, after all these years. Why did it take them this long? The WM ads were comparably terrible. I guess I should give them lots of credit for realizing that and refreshing it completely.

Sven, these aren't AT&T ads. They're clearly by MS; check out the YouTube user uploading them. They're as "AT&T" as the Apple iPhone ads are.

--janak

Old 12-21-2010, 09:02 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh View Post
Finally, finally, Microsoft is making good, entertaining ads, after all these years. Why did it take them this long? The WM ads were comparably terrible. I guess I should give them lots of credit for realizing that and refreshing it completely.
As the saying goes, sometimes you have to hit rock bottom before you start to move in a healthy direction. Seems to apply here.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:05 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
As the saying goes, sometimes you have to hit rock bottom before you start to move in a healthy direction. Seems to apply here.
Let's just hope they keep it up. These (both the previous and this WP7 ads) are excellent: they show unique functionality, they are funny, they are memorable, they have replay value. Hats off, Microsoft. Can't believe I am saying that.

--janak

Old 12-21-2010, 09:15 PM
Don Tolson
Thoughts Media Review Team

I hope whatever ad agency Microsoft (or AT&T) is using and continues to work on the 'Why I would use this phone' vs. the usual 'Look at all the neat features' focus we've seen many others try to use in the past.

Apple got it right on their ads -- sell the concept and the lifestyle choice, what the unit says about you -- rather than just adding more features.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:38 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh View Post
Sven, these aren't AT&T ads. They're clearly by MS; check out the YouTube user uploading them. They're as "AT&T" as the Apple iPhone ads are.

--janak
I kind of get that AT&T didn't produce these, but they are fingered as THE place to go get one at the end. If MS is doing that/allowing that, wouldn't that piss off T-Mobile? Is it that AT&T bought the rights to the spots and T-Mobile didn't? AT&T is doing their own ads as well, with the bizarre little Despicable Me looking little dudes. T-Mobile is doing, what exactly??? There isn't even a T-Mobile app section on my HD7.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:39 AM
crimsonsky
Thinker

Yeah - I'm with Janek on this one. This is a great ad - almost can't believe it's a Microsoft ad. Great job, MS. Keep it up.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:17 AM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

You guys sure about how great these are? Would your girlfriend let you get a WindowsPhone 7 after seeing this?