Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 12-17-2010, 12:30 AM
Adam Krebs
Contributing Editor
Default Remotive Turns Your WP7 Device Into A Media Center Remote Control

http://social.zune.net/redirect?typ...64-00237de2db9e

"If you've been looking for a way to easily control your PC's music collection with your new Windows Phone 7 handset, have a look at the Remotive app created by Sharkfist Software. The $1.99 app allows you to remotely navigate your music collection on your Windows Media Center PC (requires the installation of Remotive Server for Windows Vista/7). With this app, users can browse by album/artist/album artist, select music, and see what's currently playing. A future update will bring remote volume control."

Remotive looks to be an awesome and easy-to-use Windows Media Center remote application for your Windows Phone 7 device. With it, you can control your music anywhere in the house--or even all over the world--from your home machine to your handset. It's attractive and fits with the Windows Phone 7 / Zune aesthetic, and it all seems to be fairly snappy. A server application (free from the developer's website) installs to your Windows Vista or 7 PC and handles all of the setup for you, with a few extra tweaks needed if you want to use Remotive over your cellular data network. Albums display with thumbnails and can be grouped by artist, and just as in the Music app a long press will give you options to play or add to quick list. Volume control and search features are coming in a future release. For more info, James from the Digital Media Zone gives a good walkthrough in this YouTube video. The app is $1.99, but a free trial which limits control to the first 50 albums/artists will give you a sense of what the app can do.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:30 AM
gglazer
Neophyte
Send a message via MSN to gglazer
Default Remotive

Just purchased this app. Very easy to install on media center. Working like a charm. Great find. Thank you. I've been waiting for this for a long long time.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:00 PM
jentse
Pupil

I don't know, but wouldn't it be much nicer and appear more 'integrated' if it would work as a remote for the Zune software?

Old 12-20-2010, 11:07 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jentse View Post
I don't know, but wouldn't it be much nicer and appear more 'integrated' if it would work as a remote for the Zune software?
Thinking that myself. Actually if I wanted a 'remote' for my Media Center, I would like it to look like my Media Center, which of course looks nothing like Metro and Zune.

Just wondering, do people actually live at home with their cell phones on them all the time? Mine goes on my desk when I get home, and I pick it up when I leave. Not typically in the same room with my Media Center.

Old 01-08-2011, 05:07 PM
Fritzly
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
Thinking that myself. Actually if I wanted a 'remote' for my Media Center, I would like it to look like my Media Center, which of course looks nothing like Metro and Zune.

Just wondering, do people actually live at home with their cell phones on them all the time? Mine goes on my desk when I get home, and I pick it up when I leave. Not typically in the same room with my Media Center.
Same here; MS should offer a comprehensive app to control all your appliances: TV, DVD, Media Center as well as other house appliances like lights, heater, AC etc.

There was something similar, not made by MS but nevertheless included in early releases of MS PDAs but of course it disappeared very quickly....

Old 01-08-2011, 10:26 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzly View Post
Same here; MS should offer a comprehensive app to control all your appliances: TV, DVD, Media Center as well as other house appliances like lights, heater, AC etc.

There was something similar, not made by MS but nevertheless included in early releases of MS PDAs but of course it disappeared very quickly....
It was called NEVO. Still have my HP PPC that includes that interface. Not sure the PC side of that still exists, but likely could still program the IR functions.