Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 12-16-2010, 10:45 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Major Windows Phone 7 Update Coming Fall 2011?

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft...-5-support/8214

"In addition to talking up Windows tablets and slates at the January Consumer Electronics Show (CES), Microsoft execs also are expected to use the conference to give another push to Windows Phone 7. But the first "major" update to the WP7 platform may not hit until August or September of 2011, my sources claim."

Image Courtesy of Engadget

We've been hearing the rumours about an update in January that will bring copy/paste functionality, and some fixes, to Windows Phone 7 - but this major update, code-named "Mango", coming in the fall of 2011 is a new one. Described by some as Windows Phone 7.5, it's rumoured to bring Silverlight and HTML 5 support to the browser, enhanced Asian language support, and other features.

2011 will be the year Microsoft definitely proves, of fails to prove, that they have the agility required to rapidly grow their new platform with features and enhancements demanded by users (and already offered by competitors). It's make it or break it time for them!

Old 12-17-2010, 11:08 AM
after_forever
Pupil

IMO, Microsoft has just proven that they have already failed by waiting until the fall of 2011 to bring much needed updates to the platform.

Old 12-17-2010, 04:11 PM
Fritzly
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by after_forever View Post
IMO, Microsoft has just proven that they have already failed by waiting until the fall of 2011 to bring much needed updates to the platform.
Well I would say that a lot will depend by what this first updated rumored to be available in January 2011 will bring and what will be part of the the one in Fall 2011.

For example: If the latter will bring Silverlight, HTML 5 support to the browser and some other things I do not think it would qualify for "WP 7.5" but only time will tell.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:07 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by after_forever View Post
Um, excuse me? The product launched LAST MONTH. The first update is rumoured to be coming in JANUARY. That's TWO MONTHS. You don't think that's pretty fast?

Old 12-17-2010, 07:07 PM
Fritzly
Sage

The problem is that, at launch, the "Product" missed many features available on comeptitor's devices.

What would be helpful for users and even more for MS sales would be a clear roadmap; unfortunately it seems, as even a fanboy like Mr. Pauul Thurrott admitted

http://www.windowsitpro.com/article/...r-17-2010.aspx
that MS is sending out contraddictory messages about WP7.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:12 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzly View Post
The problem is that, at launch, the "Product" missed many features available on comeptitor's devices. What would be helpful for users and even more for MS sales would be a clear roadmap
Sure, it's missing a lot of features that other phones have - and it's missing those features because it's a 1.0 operating system. Microsoft has to move as fast as they can to add those new features in; if the rumours are correct, we'll have copy and paste within about 90 days of the product launching.

Anyone who doesn't see how impressive that it is doesn't understand that for a company as big and generally ponderous as Microsoft, that's really impressive. The only thing I can think of that happened even faster was the Boxee Box update that came out last week; that update happened within about two months of them announcing what they were going to do. I know we live in an impatient world, but COME ON...

In terms of Microsoft releasing a a clear roadmap of exactly what they're going to be updating, and when, over 2011...that would be massively damaging to the sales of current devices. Only the small % of geeks on the fence would care about it. Why would Microsoft give the competition the advantage of them knowing what's going to happen in 2011? That makes zero sense.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:35 PM
Fritzly
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
Sure, it's missing a lot of features that other phones have - and it's missing those features because it's a 1.0 operating system. Microsoft has to move as fast as they can to add those new features in; if the rumours are correct, we'll have copy and paste within about 90 days of the product launching.

In terms of Microsoft releasing a a clear roadmap of exactly what they're going to be updating, and when, over 2011...that would be massively damaging to the sales of current devices. Only the small % of geeks on the fence would care about it. Why would Microsoft give the competition the advantage of them knowing what's going to happen in 2011? That makes zero sense.
The fact that this is version 1 is, in the eyes of buyers, completely irrilevant: people buy a product for what it is not for its potential; I am not paying 30% less because I am an early adopter.
If I leave my company sleep while my competitors take over the market this is my problem not potential buyers one.

As for the roadmap I do not see any reason why publish orientative release dates for features and fixes could be damaging; actually the opposite: it would reassure buyers AND DEVELOPERS and improve confidence.

What would be the competition advantage? We are not talking about new models with new processors, display resolutions or WP 8.

Last edited by Fritzly; 12-17-2010 at 10:17 PM..

Old 12-20-2010, 07:12 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Not sure I get what the advantage would be to detailing an update that is a year away. Just a mark on the wall that is likely to be missed. Even if 90% of the promises are kept, folks would focus on the 10% that aren't. Seems it would actually be best just to keep things relatively quiet, until the day something is available, and release stuff as it is available. Seems like Apple has been running a yearly cycle for new devices. Wouldn't be too impressive if MS only had a major 'bug' fix in a year.