Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 12-16-2010, 12:09 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Windows Phone 7 Turns on When Charging: Problem or Not?

I received an email from a Windows Phone Thoughts reader who was quite irritated by a particular feature that some Windows Phone 7 devices seem to have: they turn on when connected to power if they're in a powered off state. In his own words:

"All Windows Phone 7 devices I have tried (since I'm in the USA, that means multiple Samsung Focus and HTC Surround devices) power on when you plug in a charging cable and, worse, if you power off while charging will instantly power back on. This is bad for anyone that turns their phone off at night to charge so they don't get woken up (like myself). It appears like this is either by design or a bug in the WP7 operating system."

When you power off the phone, then connect it to power, it automatically boots up. That's kind of stupid - why override what the user wants? If I'm turning off my phone and connecting it to power, it must be for a reason, right?

He goes on to say that it's also a problem that the phone will light up in the middle of the night when a new email/text comes in - his wife is a light sleeper, and this disturbs her. The LG Quantum does this as well, so I suspect all Windows Phone 7 devices turn on their screen when a new email/text comes in. I don't put my phone on my bedside table very often, or if I do, it's in silent mode and not connected to power - and I'm not the kind of sleeper that tends to get woken up by a small light. I can understand the scenario here though: what the phone should do is not turn on the screen at all if it's in silent or vibrate mode. Microsoft doesn't seem to have thought through the scenarios very well here.

So why doesn't Microsoft allow the phone to charge and stay powered off? And why does the screen light up when the phone is in silent or vibrate mode? Great questions. Survey time: tell me if these problems frustrate you or not. Sound off in the comments to clarify.

UPDATE: I should clarify that the screen not turning on while in silent/vibrate mode would be user-configurable for specific times. Think of a "Blackout Period" during which your phone wouldn't make any sounds, wouldn't vibrate, and wouldn't turn the screen on. Think of it as a "Don't disturb me at all" setting, but you still have your phone powered up in case you need to use it quickly.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:43 AM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Need one more option. No it doesn't bother me, but it still needs to be fixed/changed/corrected. I can see many scenarios that I might want to turn the phone off and charge it, even though it is not especially irritating me.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:09 AM
Kacey Green
Pontificator

My screen only comes on for notifications I've selected, (not email) if it isn't if my pocket or face-down. I keep my phone on its face so the speaker is up for alarm duties at night.

During the day the screen only comes on for push, txt and alarms.

The turning on when on charge is weird but not a show stopper when compared with other things that need the dev's attention, like giving developers the rest of the APIs they promised, and increasing the push limit above 15, I hit that this morning and most apps don't handle it well.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:00 AM
brianchris
Philosopher

I think this is a problem, and am glad I'm not alone! I have always charged my phone while fully powered off at night (so it doesn't wake me up at night in any way), and that is no longer possible with WP7. Is there a reason for this, or is this some form of oversight by Microsoft?

Given that WP7 is currently a 1.0 release, it's surprisingly good! That being said, some improvements are things that need to be included in future update/versions, but I feel this "charging only while powered on" issue is something that should of been there from v1.0, given that all other previous cell phones have allowed charging while fully powered off.....this is a step backwards from what has been for a long time (perhaps since the very first cell phones), and my question is why?

Again, even with the 1.0 "green-ness," I love WP7, and look forward to future updates....I just hope the ability to charge while powered off is one of those updates!

Old 12-16-2010, 02:20 AM
Don Tolson
Thoughts Media Review Team

Hmmmm.. I've noticed too, that the screen comes on when you attach the unit to power, but it turns off again within a couple of minutes (at least for me).

At night, I only get sound/vibration notification of new emails, etc. -- not the screen coming on. And I don't see anything in Settings for the screen coming on with notifications -- just the sounds.

Suffice to say this hasn't been a problem for me, since the unit seems to charge pretty quickly (compared to other phones I've had).

Old 12-16-2010, 02:32 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Tolson View Post
At night, I only get sound/vibration notification of new emails, etc. -- not the screen coming on. And I don't see anything in Settings for the screen coming on with notifications -- just the sounds.
Hmm. When I tried a test - sending a text from my wife's phone to my phone when the screen was turned off but connected to power, it turned on the screen.

I wonder what the difference is?

Old 12-16-2010, 04:06 AM
Lee Yuan Sheng
Contributing Editor

Hmm, I recall having a few phones that did this. Not the Android and WM phones though. Can't remember which. This is a bit of a pain for some. I guess the current option is to uh, use an app to schedule the speaker's abilities for now? I suppose buying another phone is out of the question for now.

Old 12-16-2010, 04:28 AM
Fritzly
Sage

Yes I noted this issue the first night I tried to switch the phone off and charge it; I aso tried to connect it to the charger and after that turn it off but no luck.

Simply put it is a bad design choice; why I have to keep the phone on all night? Yes I know people who sleep with the TV running all night but it is their choice and if they push the remote the TV shut down.

Besides another even more serious issue is the fact that when you enter your password to unlock the device the numbers yu push light up as Christmas trees..... big security issue.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:26 AM
randalllewis
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
what the phone should do is not turn on the screen at all if it's in silent or vibrate mode.
<SCRIPT type=text/javascript src="http://static.polldaddy.com/p/4254523.js"></SCRIPT>

Boy, I really disagree with you here. I find it to be very convenient to have the phone in silent or vibrate while face up in front of me during meetings. Depending on the meeting situation or locale, I may not notice the vibration but I can certainly see arrival of the message or call. Depending on the importance of the incoming information and/or the tediousness of the meeting, I can choose to take the call or read the message, or tap the power key to shut the screen off again.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:35 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by randalllewis View Post
Boy, I really disagree with you here. I find it to be very convenient to have the phone in silent or vibrate while face up in front of me during meetings. Depending on the meeting situation or locale, I may not notice the vibration but I can certainly see arrival of the message or call.
I hear you...but I think it should be an option. Or, better yet, have some sort of a "black out" period where your phone would be smart enough to not turn the screen on or even ring. Say, midnight to 6am or something - make it user configurable.

Ultimately I want more control over how the phone fits into my lifestyle, and Microsoft isn't yet giving me that.